• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new game to play!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jorlain

So, I beat Dragon Age: Origins a lot quicker than I had anticipated, which left me wanting more. So, I'm in the market for a new PC RPG to get into. I had decided to go back to playing some of my favorite console RPGs... But let's face it. The only time I get to play console games are either A) When the ol' lady likes the game I'm playing, or B) When the ol' lady is playing the same game I am playing.

That said, PC is the way for me to go so I don't have to contend with her for the TV. :thup:

Some RPGs I've played for PC and absolutely loved:

Mass Effect
Dragon Age: Origins
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights II (though I liked the original better for some reason)
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II
Pool of Radiance
(Let's just say the majority of the D&D PC RPGs)

I'm not a *huge* fan of Hack & Slash games, like Diablo. I really enjoyed the first Diablo... But Diablo II was kind of boring to me for some reason.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro now, so I'd like to not have to monkey with too much to get it working.

To give you a better understanding of my preference of games... I love plot, and character development. I'm a huge fan of Squaresoft (Square Enix now, I guess) and have been addicted to Final Fantasy since the original. Final Fantasy VI being my favorite for the story arc and the character development, followed by FF V and FF VII. I've liked them all, really, with the exception of XI and XII. FF XII was too much BS and not even storyline for my liking.

With that information... Anyone have any recommendations for a new game?

Please?!

Thanks!
-Mike

PS: Let's try to not fight about which games are better. :chair:

Titan Quest, its a bit hack and slash-y , but for the cheap price, its worth a go.

Titan Quest, its a bit hack and slash-y , but for the cheap price, its worth a go.
Yeah, Titan Quest is a good Diablo-like game, Torchlight is another. Both can be had for $20 each (maybe less for Titan Quest).

Have you played Oblivion and Fallout 3? That's what I would recommend if you have haven't. Both are fantastic games with HOURS of gameplay.

I've played Oblivion, and I liked it at first. The problem was, that since I did a TON of side-quests right away, without pursuing the actual game... Well, the difficulty ramps up with your level. Being that I was hugely powerful when I actually decided to start the regular storyline (I have this thing about completing all available side-quests before moving along with the storyline). When I resumed the storyline, the monsters were so difficult I could barely make it anywhere. After repeatedly dying over and over again, after spending so much time in the game, I became upset and just kind of gave up.

While Fallout 3 is an interesting game, I just couldn't get into it. For the longest time I didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion because they were too open ended. I like linear storylines, to be honest. I'm an oldschooler at heart.

I don't know. Maybe I'll try playing Fallout 3 again. Maybe this time I'll get into it, who can say. Wish I had my old save game, though, to be honest, I hadn't gotten very far. Just the city with the big bomb in the middle of the town.

Have you played Star Wars Knights of the Old Repulic? (KotOR)

They are fairly old games (therefore they dont have cutting edge graphics) but they are some of the best RPG's I have ever played... They are made by BIOWARE... the same as mass effect and dragon age.

The Witcher (enhnaced edition) is also a great RPG.

EDIT :: LOL... didnt see that Leviathan41 asked about KotOR... It really is AWSOME... and cheap on PC nowadays

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of MMOs, D&D Online being the only I've ever liked so far. But thanks anyways, Mr.DLucey.

Knights of the old republic sounds interesting. I dig Star Wars.

The Witcher was an awesome game, too. I forgot to list that in my little list. A friend had bought it and it wouldn't run on his laptop, so he just gave it to me. Lots of fun playing that game.

I'll check out KofOR and see if it looks like it might be something I like. Thanks, guys! If you have more recommendations, feel free! I like options. :)

Check out Risen. I didn't finish it, but I was enjoying it as I played. The combat is pretty good I thought for the sort of game it is.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. Somewhat RPG like that you have quests and an inventory, but no stats/skills to use. Extremely good though.
Borderlands. Good game, pretty lengthy, lots of fun.

Torchlight has been getting a lot of positive press, some of the original Diablo team made the game I think, it's a dungeon crawler.

I actually went ahead and installed NWN2 again. I forgot how much I hated the camera in this game, though. We'll see how it goes. :)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. Somewhat RPG like that you have quests and an inventory, but no stats/skills to use. Extremely good though.
Borderlands. Good game, pretty lengthy, lots of fun.

STALKER is an amazing game. One tip, play through it normally at first, but then go get the Oblivion lost mod and play again. Really worth it. Also pick up STALKER: Clear Sky also.

Some others that I definitely will recommend is:

Fallout 1-3. If you loved the old baldurs gate and icewind dale series, I am pretty sure you will love these too.

Morrowind and Oblivion, some damn fine gaming there, especially Morrowind. Hundreds upon hundreds of hours of awesome.

As mentioned, KOTOR 1&2. It doesnt get much more solid then a Star Wars RPG.

I actually went ahead and installed NWN2 again. I forgot how much I hated the camera in this game, though. We'll see how it goes. :)

Have you tried the Mask Of The Betrayer expansion for NWN2? Hearkens back to the good ol' Planescape: Torment Game. BTW, if you havn't played that, you really, really need to play it.

Back