• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for good motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
P4 what?

P4 comes in 2 different sockets now. S478 (old) and LGA775 (new)

not to mention if you want dual core capability, you'll need a newer chipset (i945/955).

I need a board with all the overclocking options. Having 4 Ram slots and supporting a p4 3.0 socket 478 or 775. What are good abit boards for this?

and what kind of ram/video card do you intend to run?

you're not providing me with much info to go on. There's too many variations on motherboards to give you a solid answer without knowing exactly what you intend to run in this system.

I have a raedon 9000 video card, 1 gig pc3200 ddr, 2 7200 rpm ide hard drives,1 15k scsi hard drive and thats about it. I want to buy a referb abit from the site i posted at the top. I want to know the best one for overclocking and what I have

Abit IC7-G

reason i asked about your other stuff is that most LGA775 boards use DDR2 and PCI-E. Some can be DDR1/2 and PCI-E but not DDR2 and AGP.

I have a pos Soyo case...I looking for a new board cuz the pos Soyo can't overclock...Everyone told me to buy a abit

See if the case will fit a standard ATX motherboard or whether it's a microATX (small motherboard). Abit is one of the better overclockers with Asus being my second choice. Know Nuttin' is right, the IC7-G is a good socket 478 mobo, but it's not new. Since you have an AGP vid card and regular DDR RAM, you are sort of limited. If you want to buy a newer socket LGA775 CPU, then look at the AS8 mobo.

Last edited:
Since you have the 2.4, I'd suggest the IC7-G, or look for a IC7 Max3, somewhere. The Max3 is out of print, but they are still around, used.

Personally, I think the Max3 is the best around. Batboy might not agree, but that is that. :D

steve

I'll say it again, Abit IC7-G. It is a S478 motherboard.

you will have to determine if it will fit, since you can't provide the info for us to have research the case.

Ok, you're in luck. That case is a standard ATX, so get the Abit IC7 (no LAN) or IC7-G (built in LAN) if you are looking for socket 478. The Max3 is ok too, but they are hard to find and are more expensive. I have a sticky thread about the IC7 series here in the Abit mobo section.

Back