• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for opinions on upgrade. Looking for value

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hatchet

Registered
Hi, my wife is upset with her slow as molasses computer, so I plan on giving her mine, and upgrading to something which will give me the most bang for buck. The power supply in my current computer is going so I need to purchase one for the old one and a new one.

I've done a lot of research, but still have some questions. Here are my current choices:

(links are for Canadian sites, new egg will not ship to Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
Cpu: Intel e6420
Vid card: 8800 gts 640 or 320
Ram: OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2
Power supply for new comp: probably something like this

I'm not sure on what to get for my old one, it's got the basics, and a 9800 pro in it. I'm wondering if a quality 400w will be fine. I'm not sure on what to get.

My main question for everything is, what will go down in price, what will stay still ? I can be very patient, and don't have all the money right now, so I can purchase a part here, a part there. I've heard intel will be dropping the price of their duo cores. I've also heard that ram will probably go up in price. Is it possible that ram will get a lot more expensive then now, or should I ignore it, and not go running off to buy some ram.

Also, the ram I chose is 4-4-4-15, is 5-5-5-12 better? I see a lot of people talking about crucial's ballistix. But this ram is cheaper and I've heard ocz is good.

Will the 8800 gts drop in price soon, and is the 640mb worth the extra price compared to the 320mb?

I'm pretty much set on the mobo. If there's a better one that can run sli for the price, I might want to get another 8800gts in the far future to give it a boost without getting a newer expensive card. The mobo needs to have 5.1 surround for it's onboard audio. I haven't bought a soundcard yet, and have always used onboard.

I don't plan on over-clocking anytime soon. I may learn how to do it when the computer starts showing it's age.

Not only are the prices on cpus supposedly going down they are coming out with some new ones. Go stepping, running fast and cool.
The 8800gts won't drop in price anytime soon.:(

And:welcome:

Also, the ram I chose is 4-4-4-15, is 5-5-5-12 better? I see a lot of people talking about crucial's ballistix. But this ram is cheaper and I've heard ocz is good.

Really makes no noitcable difference in performance. Just stick with the OCZ Platinum and you'll be fine.

640mb GTS is what to go for if you have a big monitor and will need a high screen resolution + high textures. 320 is fine but if you want real performance go with the 640 its only $40 more..And you will regret not getting the 640mb because the new games coming out this Fall will surely need it.

Silverstone will rock with power so thats good. Both motherboard and CPU are good. You can easy OC the CPU with just stock cooling and will not harm a thing unless you go extreme with the vcore.

Peepaw said:

Hey thx. Alright, well I'll probably buy some ram today then.

I'd like to run at 1600x1200, would that warrant the 640mb version?

and I'm guessing that since everyone else in these forums seems to prefer ballistix that it is superior to ocz?

I think I'll get the ballistix then.

Back