• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Macbook display issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I originally posted this query on an Apple oriented forum, but got no real response, other than " it's O.K. to move on". :p

hrsetrdr said:
I have a Macbook 5,2(2009) that has the blank screen problem, sometimes it does work for a short bit, just long enough to get my hopes up. :-(

Troubleshooting

After removing the bezel around the screen and this piece, I inspected the wires visible at that point. I don't see any pinched or frayed wires, and moving the screen does not cause any change, either way.

I bought and installed a replacement power inverter for the display, and found no difference at all.

So, I either have a bad display, or a failing graphics processor on the logic board- yes?

Any suggestions before I sell this MB for parts will be much appreciated.

About 14 months later

hrsetrdr said:
This laptop is still around, but recently I've been revisiting the display issue. Surprisingly, the display has returned, but I'm afraid to move the laptop, as I believe the problem to be a loose or damaged wire.
I think that it is safe for say that:
1. power inverter for the display is O.K., been replaced.
2. the display and back light are O.K.,
3. the graphics processor on the logic board is good.

So, cables or wires... sounds like a drastic tear-down just to check or replace them.

Any words of encouragement, or suggestions?

What do you have to lose? If you do a more complete disassembly and find the faulty component then you can decide if you want to invest in replacing the component. It may be a bad wire or a bad solder connection. I doubt if the GPU itself is failed as it just wouldn't work if that were the case. And if you bork the computer in the process, you really haven't lost anything as it is unusable right now. Let me give you some advice on disassembly/reassembly of laptops. Draw diagrams of the layout and tape the screws to the appropriate places with scotch tape as you remove them. Make notes at certain critical juncture of the disassembly that will help you when putting things back together. You might even take pictures. Also, pay close attention to how the cable keepers (latches) work. A laptop may use several different kinds that all latch in a different way. And those keepers are very fragile so be very careful. Oftentimes you can find a Youtube video of disassembly of the particular model or model family that are very valuable. Finally, realize that the there are often screws hidden under the keyboard that require the keyboard to be removed in order to gain access to them. I'm speaking in general terms here, not specifically about Macbooks.

Well, right now the display is working without issue, so I shall just enjoy it's use. But when it does fail again, I'll follow one of the guides on Youtube or iFixit and tear this laptop down far enough to replace any affected cables.

Eventhough I've torn down several Apple and PC laptops, it's always like walking barefoot thru a minefield, always some real delicate cable or wire that wants to be stubborn, upon removal :rolleyes:

Well, right now the display is working without issue, so I shall just enjoy it's use. But when it does fail again, I'll follow one of the guides on Youtube or iFixit and tear this laptop down far enough to replace any affected cables.

Eventhough I've torn down several Apple and PC laptops, it's always like walking barefoot thru a minefield, always some real delicate cable or wire that wants to be stubborn, upon removal :rolleyes: That is the truth. I hold my breath when I work on a laptop.

Back