• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making bandwidth idle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sappo

Is there a way to make bandwidth idle so that it's similar to folding? Im asking cause im on dialup and if kazaa is running it's next to impossible to surf at the same time. I need to set the bandwith priority of ie higher than kazaa. Can it be done?

Just set limits in kazaa for bandwidth usage.

If you have DSL, restrict your upload a little more. I find with DSL that if your upload cap is filled, your downloads all come to a screeching halt.

I dont want to have to change the setting whenever I'm not surfing the net. I want it to be automated: If im not surfing, it uses the maximum bandwidth, if i am then i want it to dl virtually nothing at all.

If you are using XP, you might want to look into QoS (Quality of Service). If it's set up correctly, you can have it reserve a certain amount of bandwidth for surfing, and when that bandwidth is not in use, something else (like Kazaa) can use it.

i found QoS on my networking tab under my isp dialup icon properties, but i cant seem change any of the settings. how do i do it?

Back