• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making the jump from 1440p to 4k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You're a rare breed, SPL, lol! I never thought I'd see the day where someone moves from higher Hz back to lower Hz for resolution who didn't need the screen real estate. Though 75-60hz isn't much...

Enjoy that new screen! Got any pics? What model? Update your sig! :thup:

Well, let's take 20% off your salary or add 25% to your working hours, and you might say otherwise :rofl:
:rofl: true!

My salary more than doubled, thank you! 60hz to 144. I also have a 75 hz monitor next a 60 (one of my kids do) and it isnt much compared to 144hz.

You're a rare breed, SPL, lol! I never thought I'd see the day where someone moves from higher Hz back to lower Hz for resolution who didn't need the screen real estate. Though 75-60hz isn't much...

Enjoy that new screen! Got any pics? What model? Update your sig! :thup:

Samsung U32R590C 32" Curved 4k 60 Hz. It looks amazing. 4k gaming is the way to go for sure. The 2080Ti can handle 4k on all max settings, although I do get random dips below that for whatever reason. However, I got random dips below that with 1440p. I am not sure waht the deal is, but the GPU doesent run at 100% even with 4k most of the time.

Upgraded the cooling. Now running a 360mm, 280mm top and 120mm back with (6) 120mm Corsair LL and QL fans. It's nice and quiet. Even with a heavy overclock the fans dont spin up enough to be that loud. I wanted to do hardline tubing instead, but with three radiators and 6 fans in a mid tower case, there just isint a whole lot of room. Trying to do the whole thing hardline would be hard and I'd have to make lots of turns to make all the tubes avoid themselves. I already had to do some wizardry to get the 280mm to fit on top as this case is only designed for a 240 on top.

IMG-1583.jpg
IMG-1585.jpg
IMG-1586.jpg
IMG-1587.jpg
IMG-1588.jpg

Last edited:
System looks awesome man... nice!

4k gaming is the way to go for sure.
Its funny because I made this jump a year or two ago when the 2080ti was released. In many titles its a 4k uhd/60hz card (depending on settings) so it worked out perfectly. That said, 4k/60 vs 1440/144..... ill never go back to lower hz just to go 4k. The benefits, for me, just aren't there. 60 hz is downright painful to game on for me at this point.

Just a question, can't you overclock the monitor to 75Hz+?

I tried. It starts frame skipping as soon as I get to 61 hz. It will OC to 72 Hz, but I feel like it's pointless if the monitor is just dropping frames.

The one thing that sucks about this monitor is it has obvious ghosting and corona artifact when I increase the latency. That's weird though because my last panel, the HP Omen 1440p 32" dident have any ghosting effect that I noticed and both of these are VA panels. I can get the corona effect to go away by cycling through the latency modifications and then it stays away until I put the computer back to sleep. I am not sure why, but I have to reset the response time feature every once and awhile to get it to work correctly.

I tried. It starts frame skipping as soon as I get to 61 hz. It will OC to 72 Hz, but I feel like it's pointless if the monitor is just dropping frames.

The one thing that sucks about this monitor is it has obvious ghosting and corona artifact when I increase the latency. That's weird though because my last panel, the HP Omen 1440p 32" dident have any ghosting effect that I noticed and both of these are VA panels. I can get the corona effect to go away by cycling through the latency modifications and then it stays away until I put the computer back to sleep. I am not sure why, but I have to reset the response time feature every once and awhile to get it to work correctly.

That sucks about that, is that a widely reported issue and/or something you can contact their support about?

I went from 4k 75hrtz, to 1440p 175hrtz, and I like the 1440p much better. Games run smoother, it'll be a few years till 4k 175hrtz gaming is the norm, 2080ti still cant push 4k 175hrtz with higher settings. I would go 1440p for a few more years. I would say maybe when NV releases the GTX 4000 or 5000 series is when 4k 175hrtz you will get the smooth frame rates.

I went from 4k 75hrtz, to 1440p 175hrtz, and I like the 1440p much better. Games run smoother, it'll be a few years till 4k 175hrtz gaming is the norm, 2080ti still cant push 4k 175hrtz with higher settings. I would go 1440p for a few more years. I would say maybe when NV releases the GTX 4000 or 5000 series is when 4k 175hrtz you will get the smooth frame rates.

Idk, maybe not 175fps plus but with the things I think Nvidia is banking on like it's sparse operations helping assist ray tracing and dlss 100fps plus is plausible even down to a 3070 imo. It won't be native but I think people are going to be shocked at the 4k and ray tracing performance of ampere cards. They have some remarkable tricks built in to that architecture. I don't think there is a big gain in native resolution performance vs the tier above from Turing but there is potential to lose little to nothing with ray tracing and a new dlss with Ampere.

Back