• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximus z690 Hero up in flames

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
According to Buildzoid, the capacitor at the top of the last DIMM slot is backward on the boards that have blown up when compared to working boards. If the positive stripe is to the right you're fine.
This one blew up and notice the polarity stripe is to the left.

fs2z3whyqf681.jpg

After looking at my board, that polarity strip is to the right.....

... I'm not sure if this is related, but this PC had issues with randomly powering down. I replaced the PSU and it went away, but now............I'm worried about using this as 24/7......... yikes.

EDIT: Is it flipped mosfets or something?
Caps... I recall hearing something about this Sunday and that was the theory.

At the same time, they have the most overpriced motherboards, eh ... I was thinking to buy one and I picked Gigabyte.

I also have Strix Z690I but it seems fine... at least is not burning and I hope it will stay this way ;)

I haven't seen any other board blow up like this. If BZ is right, hopefully that was limited to the strip of caps that were backward for this board and nothing else.

One of my PSUs blew up with a Z690 mobo but I guess it was related to something else. I think it was with ASUS but no problems on 3 other PSUs so I won't connect it.

It's funny, I bought a new PSU because this system with the Hero was having issues (would power off under load). That seemed to have resolved it...

Now this comes out and I'm now anxious to swap this board out (as soon as the Azza 809 arrives.....) with something else... :(

Lol.... that doesn't lend any credence to it. You already posted The Gospel. :rofl:

On a serious note, I know Tom's is reaching out to Asus for comment... so we'll see soon.

I bet you find that other places too but here is the first news I found:

"ASUS is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. We have recently received incident reports regarding the ROG Maximus Z690 Hero motherboard. In our ongoing investigation, we have preliminarily identified a potential reversed memory capacitor issue in the production process from one of the production lines that may cause debug error code 53, no post, or motherboard components damage. The issue potentially affects units manufactured in 2021 with the part number 90MB18E0-MVAAY0 and serial number starting with MA, MB, or MC."

It's a recall now, eh? Good to know!

... I wonder if they'll take my review sample, lol....

Honestly, I would expect them to... they don't want any news from a reviewer where it caught on fire on their test bench either.

If you have one of the affected motherboards in a PC system, it is recommended that you stop using it right away, due to the fire hazard, and the malfunction’s potential to damage other expensive components in your PC. Asus has kickstarted a “replacement program,” now, but it is still doing some investigating, particularly in regard to the scope of the serial numbers affected.
Well, they had a tool for a couple weeks now that IDs the board by SN, so they know a bunch already.....
The issue potentially affects units manufactured in 2021 with the part number 90MB18E0-MVAAY0 and Serial number starting with MA, MB, and MC.

But yeah, just use this tool to see (if you can't tell by looking, lol).

EDIT: They haven't updated the SNs/range since Woomack posted it 12/30....

Last edited:
Back