• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxtor 40gb Sata150 HDD's $24 shipped on ebay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
These things are screaming for budget RAID. ;) Too bad they are so small though. Now to figure out what I could do with a small drive.....

Krusty said:
Hmm...what do you think would perform better? A 74gb raptor or 2 of these in Raid 0?

Think it would be about the same, maybe a slight edge to the raptor. But the raptor costs much more than 2 of these...

Pinky said:
Think it would be about the same, maybe a slight edge to the raptor. But the raptor costs much more than 2 of these...

But a Raptor takes up half the space, roughly half the power, and has half the chance of failing.

Conclusion: If you've got the space in your system and don't care if a drive fails on you, this is a better choice than a Raptor. If you want something cleaner and more reliable, then spending extra on the raptor may be good.

Krusty, I would say that they have more than double the chance of failing. They are clearly entry level drives, and the Raptor surely isn't. I would trust the Raptor to survive much longer than one or even two of those Maxtors.

Also, I would think that they don't perform half as well as the Raptor, they can't be too far from the Raptor, so two of them would be better. At least that's what I think.

I'd still say a Raptor is the much better option, but at $40 for two, it's hard to beat. I'll let you guys know when I get them.

The main problem for me here is that, while I can use a bunch of 40's, I would use them in PC's w/o a SATA controller on board.

The PC's I have with SATA don't really need a new drive...

Oh well, still a good deal for the right person.

Well I just found a reason to get one. My desktop mysteriously BSODed on startup last night, and Windows is toast. So from here on out I'll ghost my C: partition (30gb) to this Maxtor for easy restores.

Just a heads up these drives are not NEW "For Sale: New Pulled 40GB Maxtor SATA hard drives," 3rd line in ad and under the "Item Specifics - Item Condition," top of Item Description the condition is "Used." Don't get me wrong it's still a good deal but they are not new.

Krusty said:
But a Raptor takes up half the space, roughly half the power, and has half the chance of failing.

Conclusion: If you've got the space in your system and don't care if a drive fails on you, this is a better choice than a Raptor. If you want something cleaner and more reliable, then spending extra on the raptor may be good.
good point!

Well,I got mine in yesterday and it works great!

Unformatted too LOL.They come with a new install of XP on them from compaq,with a few tricks one could boot right into windows.I formatted mine though,im installing XP on it as I type this.

Back