• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ennogs

Registered
Anybody any ideas as to what may be wrong? I am helping mate with this PC. It is a shop bought off the shelf PC. He was having trouble getting windows to reinstall after he had formatted the hard drive. When I tried installing Windows you would get a hardware failure message.

At the moment the PC has 1 SATA drive, 1 DVD writer, 2 x 1GB memory and processor running. I am using the onboard graphics and sound at the moment.

Processor is Intel core 2 duo E4500
Motherboard is ASUS P5VD2-VM
Memory is 2 X 1GB Corsair value select DDR2-SDRAM 333 MHz
WD 250 GB SATA hard drive

First I done a full check on the hard drive and that is working ok. I then ran memtest and after about 20 minutes I was getting lots of errors. So I then tested each stick of memory individually in slot one and got no errors. I then tested each stick of memory individually for in slot 2 and again I got no errors? My mate then took the PC home and tested the memory for a lot longer. Again when testing each stick individually he got no errors.

He then installed windows with only one of the sticks of memory in and was able to do windows updates etc without a problem. He then put the other stick of memory back in and within 2 minutes of getting into windows he got a BSOD. So up to this point it seems to only happen when both memory slots are filled, Each 1GB stick seems to work fine on its own but not together.

So as a test he stuck a 512 stick of memory from another PC so the PC now has 1.5GB memory. It has been working flawlessly for the last 4 hours.

So it appears both slots on the motherboard are ok as with 1.5GB of memory I have been installing programs and using windows for 4 hours now without a problem. Both of the 1GB sticks of memory are testing ok individually but cause problems is used together. Anybody any ideas what to try or do next?

At the default 200MHz x 11 and the DRAM Frequency set to 667MHz, adjust CAS Latency Time, Bank Interleave, Precharge to Active (Trp), and Active to Precharge (Tras) to the modules rated values. I don't think that board offers any voltage options, so you'll have to rely on the BIOS for setting the correct DRAM voltage. You might also want to try setting DRAM Timing Selectable to By SPD instead of Manual.

Back