• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory for 8700k Maximus X Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

denali

Registered
So I'm looking to do a new build. I'm planning to pick up one of Silicon Lottery's 5.2Ghz binned 8700k and put it in a Maximus X Formula. I only get to do this once in a while so I am going to indulge. My current build is a 3770k OC'd to 4.6 and a nice set of 4x8 GSkill Ripjaws at 2400mhz, maxing out the Maximus.

The most intensive CPU based activity I do is I am a Lockheed Martin's Prepar3d enthusiast. I have over 2TB of photoscenery. I spread the display over 3 1080p monitors. Prepar3d is very much a CPU limited program. I have 2 GTX 780 in SLI and the most demanded out of them is at best 50% with everything high. So I'm moving them over until Volta or Ampere or Turing comes out before snagging a 1080ti at an outragous price and then regretting it.

One of the reasons I believe my system held out for so long is because of the memory choice. Prepar3d can be a very data heavy program as well, often hitting OOMs before the 64bit version came out. There is a lot of data constantly going between CPU and RAM; I think Prepar3d is one of the few programs where RAM can make a significant difference.

The other use for this PC is a couple of VMs, some development, and as I have now maybe over 200 tabs open in Chrome. I need RAM. 32GB seems to be good enough. But I also use a RAM caching programe, PrimoCache, which significantly speeds up loading off the disks.

So I want to find the fastest RAM within a high but not crazy budget. I don't do this every day, but I'm trying to understand the Frequency and Latency Ballance, and even started making charts of timings and real times in nano seconds to compare RAM specs. ... I am lost. I can't seem to find a formula out there that actually makes sense to me, especially my OCD mode which I am in now.

To start off, can anyone make sense of this guys TT/Cycles on the last column of his chart? He says it's really important, but doesn't explain how he gets it, and I can't seem to duplicate it :/ I'm very angry with him.

I have a small chart that shows somewhat performance in terms of frequency and latency for what is available in 64GB kits. From what I can tell it's best to go with 2x16 dual kit now since I might wish to expand to 64 total in the future. Is there any benefit to 4x8 in terms of performance? I am understanding that 4x8 may be a little less stable for OC on both RAM and CPU as it puts a little more stress somewhere. And something about copy times. So 2x16 seems advisable, especially for expansion. The only fear I have with that path is I understand that there is no guarantee that another identical 2x16 kit will work with the first one. Is that true?

The 64GB availability chart is only showing what iI've seen on Newegg and is showing me a sweet spot for 3600 CL16 range. But this only accounts for CL, not the other timing measurments like my friends video above.

Since this kind of spending is only allowed by the wife when I can prove it's a worthwhile upgrade, I get to indulge a little bit. I "need" the new system to keep with with the demands of Prepar3d in VR, and to be able to let her play games without too much frustration tweaking this old dinosaur to play smoothly. So I can spend a little bit more on memory for that little bit extra speed. I know the real ticket is to go to a different chip with quad RAM ability, but for Prepar3d it's more bound on the core 1 than anywhere else and so more speed is the main line to performance gains, thus 5.2 binned. Plus I might be allowed to put in some cooling to push it a little bit more. What RAM should I get to match that investment? Mom says it's OK (within reason).

Thanks!

If you want 64GB then just buy 64GB kit. Don't split it into 2 kits like one 32GB now and one in half year as probably will be different IC. Don't buy too high frequency as 4 memory modules won't run stable anyway. For some reason the highest speed in only available in 2 module kits but again if you need more RAM then just get something 3200-3600.

Look for 3200 14-14-14 / 15-15-15 , 3600 16-16-16 / 17-17-17. These kits should be on the best Samsung IC so will run at tight timings and if you wish to then will overclock some more at still tight timings. 3200 CL14/15 kits usually run at 3600 CL16 and standard voltage of 1.35V.
G.Skill Trident Z would be safe choice. There are other brands but you never know what you will find under the heatsinks while if you see something like 3200 14-14-14 or 3600 16-16-16 then it has to be good.

That youtube video is pretty stupid. Can't tell real memory performance based on one timing when list is really long and every memory controller reacts a bit different. On new platforms frequency gives more than timings but there are many variables so again, can't tell what is better looking only at 1-2 values.

Thanks for the reply! I'm not feeling very well, flu bug or something has got my family, so I'm not comprehending at a normal rate these days. Yet my OCD is really flaring up on this task. So please forgive me if I'm full of confusion and questions, and don't whack me with your master/zen stick too hard. :)

I don't think I need 64GB as much as I want speed. I would be OK with getting 2x16 only to sell it later at a small loss to upgrade. (I have a friend I know wants to build new but can't just now. Maybe he could use it later.)

So that brings me to rethinking should I go with 4x8? I am aware that it's the better Samsung IC that I would be looking for, and that here is one of the places it's quality has been ferreted out of the stats. But I am Very curious about some of the high speed offerings I've seen on Newegg, like this beast:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232678

Is that speed and price just a shiny object for the n00b? In my primitive little chart it shows to be the fastest 4x8 set available (available to who, not sure my leash is that long!). OCD mixed with curiousity is a b****. I'm sure many OCers can apperciate that. :)

In my beginning of my search a quick google for fastest DDR4 2018 brought a review saying these were the favorite in a Jan 3rd article (http://www.trustedreviews.com/guide/best-ddr4-ram):
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-2x16...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B016ORTNI2

The timings aren't even that great, but it is a kit I think is said to have the better Samsung IC. It's not the fastest RAM by it's specs so I wonder why it ends up top of their list. Is it because they are known great overclockers? Will the high price GSkill above just get me there without the work I'd put in on the Corsair, but not leave any room to go further? Can the Corsair match with applied elbow grease? Thats where it gets confusing!

Thats a 2x16 configuration. Since I'm OK with having to replace to get to 64, should I go with 4x8?

Thanks again (and sorry if I'm not 'getting' something).

BTW, I've been reading through some of your RAM reviews too.

As I dig deeper, reading your reviews, the light is starting to flicker on.

Last edited:
I've settled on two choices. Both GSkill TridentZ RGB 2x16 kits. (can't justify 64 atm, and if I decide later to go for it I'll just sell and replace)
Compared at Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...7|20-232-606^20-232-606,20-232-560^20-232-560

One F4-3200C14D-32GTZR 14-14-14-34 1.35v ( I can only hope that it is related to the CL16 version that was reviewed here @4000 12-12-12 ... seriously?: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...nt-Z-2x8GB-DDR4-3200-CL14-F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW )

The other F4-3866C18D-32GTZR 18-18-18-38 (flat timings) 1.35v Which is interesting because while it is 6% less than the 3200/14 on true cas latency (ns), it is running at 1.35v, where in the OCs in the review above show a 1.4v setting around that frequency. Would that mean possibly a better overclock? Or ... since the reviewed 3200 starts at CL16 and the 3200 contender here starts at CL14 is it smarter to start with the Tridentz RGB @3200 14 here? It does cost $54 less.

I do see that @3866 says it is for a z370 mobo.

Last edited:
Hrmmnn. The F4-3200C14D-32GTZR is not on the QVL for the MXF. The F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR is though, the @3200 14 4x16 kit, which I assume is matched same of 4. Why would they not like the 2x16 kit? The F4-3866C18D-32GTZR is in there.

I found this article that is not so hot on the @3200 14 https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/GSkill/F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW/8.html sigh

I want to pull the trigger on one of the two today. My thoughts are basically that CA14 is a very nice start at 3200, but so is a 1.35v at 3866/flat 18, basically the highest speed available. But now that article has me worried about the subtimings. I have heard it is better to go with a higher speed guaranteed. So I am leaning toward the 3866.

Does anyone have anything to say before I marry one of these sets today? Speak now or forever hold ... heh. ... I probably won't do this until very late tonight, around midnight CST.

Nice job on that OC. Your thread is one that influenced my thinking, and confusion, as to going to the 3866/18 set, because the voltage starts at 1.35v, which to me seems to give much room for OCing. I haven't commited yet because there is something very sexy about the 3200/14 and what she's been seen to put out in some reviews. If someone can tell me that the 3866 is just her big sister that she knows the same tricks I could commit faster ... heh. It basically comes down to 1.35v vs CL14 which could be doing 1.40v at 3866, meaning the 3866/18 is binned better, will even take me farther? That's my thinking now.

I'm not sure what you mean by TPU whining.

TPU seemed unimpressed with the 3200 C14 kit, which I thought was ridiculous. I get better performance than the kits G.Skill sells on a z170 mobo. Not sure why they were underwhelmed by secondary timings on RAM they scored a respectable 9.8. Honestly, anything over XMP is gravy. And yeah, 3200 C14 and up is Samsung B dies, and the higher speeds are just better binned/lower voltage. I think the percentage of headroom will go down the higher the speeds, but that's due to limits of the platform. I noticed your motherboard is on G.Skill's QVL up to 3000 C14 and nothing after that. If you haven't already bought the mobo it might be worth looking at some other choices if RAM performance is a big part of your build.

I guess I'm not completely sure what TPU is.
Asus MXF QVL lists the 3866/18 set, but not the 3200/14. That is another reason for me to go with 3866. I have a MVF now which took the top ram at the time, didn't OC the RAM though, just XMP to 2400. Might still try as I'll still be using it. I like the Formulas extras like SoundFX, and the RGB control on the new one, even though a couple of weeks ago I thought RGB was hokey, an easy way for everyone to make more money for little manufacturing cost. But I have been growing to the thought of warm lights coming from my build :).

I'm a few steps closer to pulling trigger on 3866. I'm getting to the thoery that it will just save me time and being at the mercy of the silicon lottery.

Anyone have anything they think I should know? Or need to wake me up to?

I'm also figuring if I go the high frequency route and OC it we can all learn from it. Add some data points. So even one more step closer ... waiting for some responses, sigh.

Had me confused a moment on the typo. LOL. Nice set you picked out, there. If you have RAM hungry apps (and it looks like you do) that should be a huge help.

Thanks. I gotta get it right. It might be another 5 years before I'm allowed to pull this off again. Wish me Luck! I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 3866 in a bit.

I will bring a bit of chaos to this thread as I know you are set on G.Skill Trident Z :) This is also Samsung B / 16GB modules and so far I had the best results on this "kit" http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...llistix-Elite-4x16GB-DDR4-3000-BLE16G4D30AEEA , can't guarantee what IC will be in new kits under this product number, I guess it won't change ... anyway there you have OC settings which you can use if you buy any other 2x16GB kit on Samsung B.

2x8GB will OC up to ~4400 ( depends on many factors )
2x16GB will OC up to ~4000 ( usually not much more than 3600 )
This is the difference between single and dual rank on the same IC.

Back