• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Heatsink !?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That depends. If you have good airflow around the memory stick the heatsinks will help you dissipate a little more heat into the ambient. But if the air near that part of the mobo is stagnant, then it would just help to get more hot there.

The other day I saw somewhere, that they adapt a 80 mm fan over the memory modules to cool them. Might be a good idea.

They're great for poseurs. If you want looks not effect then having these inside a windowed case, along with some kind of orb on the cpu, will add to your visual pleasure. If you care more about performance the I suppose it depends on just how much overclock you can force onto your system. I don't have a need for them myself, my board is a "budget" board with a fsb limit of 117mhz and a memory limit of 4/3rds of that (156). Memory around that speed is somewhat easy to aquire. But if you wanted to push your memory bus well above 166 and you increased your memory voltage to do it then memory sinks would probably be a good idea.

It is a ddr cooling kit. DDR gets a lot hotter than PC133. I don't think you need them for PC133 even if it is PC166 but the ddr can take more voltage adn is a whole **** load hotter.

Back