• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S_I_N

ok I have a dual 2400mp setup on a KD7-L mobo as most of ya know it'll take regular ram in slots one and two OR registered ram in all 4 slots. I'm currently running 2 sticks of generic ddr400 256 megs each in slots one and two.

My question is this.

What benifits would I gain by going with say a gig of registered ram?
Is Registered ram better to run in these setups?

You will gain performance, if you add memory, if you actually NEED more memory.

Most people don't need more than 512 MB of RAM, but if you are one of the one's that does, then you will gain some performance, from adding more.

What OS do you run? Do you pay attention to the swapfile utilization? Is your system swapping to disk very often and causing the system to thrash?

If so, then you need more memory. If not, you don't.

Registered memory is better, only because it is buffered, which helps stability, when running multiple sticks (which is why it is required, if you want to run more than two sticks.) It takes a slight performance hit, to run Registered, however. Not a great deal, but if you live for high benchmark scores, then you will be dissapointed, if you swap Unbuffered for Registered.

basically I got this to learn the smp line of computing I dont do anything really that will put this setup thru its paces. E-mail surfing games and the likes nothing major. I'll stick with my unbuffered ram then and be happy :)

in the K7d can you run Unbuffered in the first 2 slots and Registered in the other 2 all at the same time or will they have conflicts

If you plan on doing any video editing or rendering, I recommend 2GB+. What works really nice is, Get 4GB or ram and use ramdisk to partion out 2gb. I realize mpeg encoding and audio encoding is much faster and smoother when utilizing memory as drive space.

yeah was made aware already that mixing wouldnt work. This is just another toy for me will prolly turn into my cd/dvd burning comp for the time being.

Back