• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft releases prices for Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amtrak

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10272259-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

From Friday through July 11, consumers in the U.S. will be able to buy an upgrade copy of Windows 7 Home premium for $49 or Windows 7 Professional for $99. That offer is good for both XP and Windows Vista PCs, regardless of whether someone has been trying out the pre-release version of the operating system.

When boxed copies of Windows 7 go on sale on October 22, Microsoft plans to charge $119 for Home Premium, $199 for Professional and $219 for Ultimate. The Home Premium upgrade is down $40 from the product's original price, although the Vista product had already gotten a price cut along the way. The Professional and Ultimate versions are priced similar to where Microsoft was with Vista. The upgrade prices apply to those moving from a previous version of Windows to Windows 7, but only those from Windows Vista will be able to upgrade without doing a clean installation of the product.

The full versions of Windows 7--the editions for those without a copy of Windows--will be priced at $199 for Home Premium, $299 for Professional and $319 for Ultimate. The Ultimate and Professional editions are again on par with their Vista counterparts, while Home Premium is down from the $239 that Microsoft had charged with Vista. Microsoft also plans to offer the operating system in an easier-to-open box.

Things are trickier in Europe, where Microsoft has said it will only ship a special "E" version, which has the browser removed. Because of that, Microsoft is requiring all users to do a clean installation of the product. So there, Microsoft has said it will offer the full version of Windows 7 for the upgrade price.

Same information:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-pricing-price-upgrade,8139.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-preorder-cheap-discount,8140.html

Last edited:
119$ for home premium seems good. But if you dont own a copy of windows, then its pricey.

Does anyone know if a upgrade to Win7 from Vista is a good idea? or is a fresh reinstall better? its just a pain to re-install all my apps.

fresh install is always better.. There are to many stuff that can go wrong with an upgrade

$319 for Ultimate thats alot of money for a damn os .... i wish linux can put its **** toghether and start being a thread to MS so they will lower those crazy prices

119$ for home premium seems good. But if you dont own a copy of windows, then its pricey.

Does anyone know if a upgrade to Win7 from Vista is a good idea? or is a fresh reinstall better? its just a pain to re-install all my apps.

Oh boy! We did it again, TIME WARP!.

Super Miguel you answered my question before I posted it!. Whoo, time travel!

Nice try Microsoft, but try again. They should try offering lower upgrade prices to Vista adopters, instead of just a single price for users of both XP and Vista. Why not use this opportunity to undercut Apple, take some wind out of their marketing sales? Yes Microsoft, let Vista users upgrade to Windows 7 for $19.99, a third less then what Apple will be charging Leopard users to upgrade to Snow Leopard - and really let it be known!

But no, Microsoft will let yet another opportunity slip through their fingers.

Nice try Microsoft, but try again. They should try offering lower upgrade prices to Vista adopters, instead of just a single price for users of both XP and Vista. Why not use this opportunity to undercut Apple, take some wind out of their marketing sales? Yes Microsoft, let Vista users upgrade to Windows 7 for $19.99, a third less then what Apple will be charging Leopard users to upgrade to Snow Leopard - and really let it be known!

But no, Microsoft will let yet another opportunity slip through their fingers.

$19.99 sounds good :)

$319 for Ultimate thats alot of money for a damn os .... i wish linux can put its **** toghether and start being a thread to MS so they will lower those crazy prices

And we wish users would get their **** together and learn how to read manual pages. ;)

That would be nice indeed...but it will never happen. One thing is accurate about the "I'm a Mac/I'm a Windows Box" commercials: the suits are firmly in charge at Microsoft now...

Ubuntu 9.04 has got to be the Win 7 of the *nix world; just can't get any easier to install or use. I think that it's all about marketing- if you want to make $xxx on a product you have to spend $xxx on marketing. Not much marketing to be seen with most Linux OS's; they mostly just sell themselves nicely. ;)

I actually don't care if Linux ever becomes mainstream, the reason being that:

money=power
power= corruption

John Emerich Dalberg-Acton said:
wrote, in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton (April 5, 1887), "Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Microsoft is allowing pre-oders at a huge discount. LINK

Looks like the prices are the same as those posted above.

That being said, $49 for Home Premium upgrade is a great price, regardless of whether it should be cheaper for Vista users or not.

Wow, $319 for ulitmate? I'd never pay that much for an OS. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to get free from my school through the Microsoft Academic Alliance. I'd consider paying maybe half that for the "system builder" version.

Looks like the prices are the same as those posted above.

That being said, $49 for Home Premium upgrade is a great price, regardless of whether it should be cheaper for Vista users or not.

I'd jump on that Premium upgrade.... If the upgrade is compatible with going from Vista Ultimate to that.

Wonder if that upgrade loop hole will be in effect still.

I'll stick with Vista for a while. I paid $119 for Home premium OEM a little over a year ago, and I'll just get my $$'s worth out of it. I've played with Win7 RC a little but I don't see the advantage of moving up the path just because MS put out a new OS.

I'll bite just for the new easy-open box. :rolleyes:

What loop hole was that?

Use the upgrade disk to install a trial for your clean install, then use the disk again to install the upgrade over the clean install, this time entering your cd key and activating once complete.

I'll take the oem version lol. Screw paying double for "support". It's called "google".

Back