• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mITX Folder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
So...I bought ATMINSIDE's GA-Z87N-WIFI mITX motherboard for this build:

Case: old emachines mATX case
HDD: from old machine
PSU: from old machine (ATNG 800W, Bronze)
MB: GA-Z87N-WIFI mITX
CPU: Xeon E-1230V3 (LGA 1150)
Cooling: Intel Stock
Memory: Crucual Ballistix Tactial DDR3 (9-9-9-27) 2 x 8 GB
GPU: from old machine (EVGA GTX 960 mini)

The first thing...the Xeon chip is smoking fast and smooth (4 cores, 8 threads...3.5 GHz). A lot cheaper than the LGA1150 i7 chips.

Does not have an embedded iGPU. This is a good thing as I already have the graphics card...good thing until you are troubleshooting your build for a blank screen at boot...because you have the monitor plugged into the motherboard and not the graphics card...doh! (Only 15 minutes - hehe).

Finally...for those of you that have ever done a build this small...when I was done I sat back and was like "How did I manage to fit everything in there? How did I manage to get everything plugged into the motherboard???")

A final note: For those of you who run headless systems like this one is now, this little HDMI plug is great:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKFTYA8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

You plug it into the HDMI port, and you can select any resolution you want from 800x600 to 4088x2304.

If you think building an mITX board in an mATX case is tough... try an mITX case.
Seen how tight it is in the Hadron with a full size GPU and aftermarket CPU cooling? LOL (link in sig if you haven't)

What does that adapter do besides spend $25 of your money?

The adapter has a chip in it that makes the graphics card think it's connected to a high end monitor. When you RDP into the headless system, you can select any resolution you want.

Without this, the RDP session might not initialize as the graphics card doesn't think it's driving anything.

If you think building an mITX board in an mATX case is tough... try an mITX case.
Seen how tight it is in the Hadron with a full size GPU and aftermarket CPU cooling? LOL (link in sig if you haven't)
Amen, my mITX folder was a pain. Also in a Hadron but the hydro with the water kit. Hooking up the board wasn't bad, the compression fittings sucked.

The adapter has a chip in it that makes the graphics card think it's connected to a high end monitor. When you RDP into the headless system, you can select any resolution you want.

Without this, the RDP session might not initialize as the graphics card doesn't think it's driving anything.

And even if it does, you get stuck with low resolution. Not the biggest deal, but an upcoming project for me is to change the resolution -without having to buy the little plug. There are apparently pin mods where you can put a specific sized resistor pin hole X and pin hole Y, but I havent gotten there yet :)

Edit: I think OP is using Ubuntu? if you wish I can dig up a page that details how to make a dummy monitor (I have done this and it works) but you wont have the resolution options.

My RDP will match 5760x1080 or 1920x1080, pending if I have Surround enabled.
This is from the server in my sig with only Ethernet and Power connected.

Amen, my mITX folder was a pain. Also in a Hadron but the hydro with the water kit. Hooking up the board wasn't bad, the compression fittings sucked.

I can only imagine how tight it was getting to those compression fittings... tightening down heatsink screws was close enough itself.

Back