• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moding a Plexi Window

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

howlingyeti

I'd like to place a window in my case which I was planning to make out of plexi. I should have no problem cutting the window to size and getting it secured into the case. The problem I have is I'm currently running a 120mm side fan and I need to get a 120 hole cut into the the plexi for the sidefan to go in. What the best way to do this? A dremel? Magic pixie dust? All ideas welcome.

*sigh* I was afraid you'd say that. I dislike buying a 30 dollar tool when I'm only planning to use it once. Any other ways?

No, don't do that. That is just like buying hardware and breaking it trying to overclock it and then return it. You can do it with a dremel, and then use a sanding drum to smooth it out. If you plan to do this, make sure you tape off everything around the cut, so if you slip, it won't hurt the appreance nearly as much. Try looking online for a hole saw, you might find one cheaper.

Hope this helps,
Scott

Hmm, good advice. I'll suppose a dremel will work if I go slow and am careful. I live in Alaska so most online pc companys either won't ship to my P.O. box here and UPS only flies 2nd day air into my town, which basicly means I pay in shipping whatever the item is in cost.

ziptieboy said:
No, don't do that. That is just like buying hardware and breaking it trying to overclock it and then return it.

who cares, as long as your not stuck with it. I dont think multi million/billion would care if a 30$ hole saw or a $100 cpu was returned. Theyll prolly just melt it and remake it in a matter of seconds.

if you don't have your plexi already, you should definetely consider Lexan instead. It's much easier to cut than plexi.

Well I tried this out on a few scraps. Here's some of the things I've discovered.

*Trace out your circle like normal but then cut about 1-2cms within the circle. When cuting plexi with a dremel the cerf (the width of material that's removed by the blade) is larger. It's always easy to cut more out but difficult to put more plexi back in.

*Glow slow. This stuff likes to melt.

*As suggested use the drum sander attachemnt to clean the circle up so it's closer to the drawn circle.

*Use sandpaper or a file to widen the circle to it's final diameter.

So yeah it can be done, it's kinda of a ghetto way to do it, but it works okay. Not great but okay. My computer is POS so okay is good enough for it.

Nothing like a little quality white-trash engineering.

i too, suggest you get lexan instead, it aint alot more expensive than plexi, it is alot easier to work with, doesnt melt, doent crack all that easy
i highly reccomend it

The effort required to use a dremel on PERFECT CIRCLES is too great for my lazy bones. You'll likely use the hole-saw again and that is a good size to use. Just having useful tools laying around is a constant reminder to KEEP MODDING. Ask anyone that owns a rivet gun =p.

Well the best part about buying a 120mm holesaw is that I will be "forced" to use 120mm fans. :)

Back