• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Gentoo Stuff: GCC-3.4.4 Now Marked as Stable on x86

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerMe

More Gentoo Stuff: GCC-3.4.4 Now Marked Stable on x86

3.4 marked stable on x86
Posted on December 2, 2005 by Mark Loeser

GCC 3.4 has finally been marked stable on x86. No one will have their compiler automatically switched to gcc-3.4 after it is installed, so you can handle the migration to using it as your system compiler when you have time. To assist you in the migration we have made a GCC migration guide.

For support issues, #gentoo is the place to receive help. Bugs found in the course of this upgrade should be filed under the "Gentoo Linux" product, and "GCC Porting" component on Gentoo's Bugzilla.

Gentoo Linux Upgrade Guide
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/x86/gcc-upgrading-guide.xml

Here's the summary, pretty much:

Code:
# emerge -uav gcc
# gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4
# source /etc/profile
# emerge -1 sys-libs/libstdc++-v3
# emerge -e system && emerge -e world
# emerge -aC =sys-devel/gcc-3.3*

Or for the lazy:

Code:
emerge sync && emerge -u gcc && gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4 && source /etc/profile && emerge -1 sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 && emerge -e system && emerge -e world && emerge -C =sys-devel/gcc-3.3*

Go have a good weekend, since you'll be recompiling your whole system. ;)

Last edited:
I have been running GCC 3.4.4 for a long while now. It works quite well, and is a bit faster.

I also have less compile errors, but YMMV.

Just make sure to do the "emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world && emerge -e world" and then it should be safe to remove gcc 3.3.6.

The "emerge -e world"s are optional unless you just want to remove 3.3.6. They will get updated through updates, as long as you don't mind keeping 3.3.6 around just in case.

I always do the install with 3.4.4 now, as that way I don't have to do all of the recompiles.

If it's now stable, it should be automatic. Just make sure that you are installing from the most recent stage 3 tarball from the web, not one of the tarballs on the most recently released cd, as those are always a bit out of date.

I don't think much recompiling is really necessary, as 3.3.x is header-compatible with 3.4.x. 4.x is another matter... it is not header compatible with 3.x.

Back