• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Morrowind for Dummies(newbs guide to morrowind)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yup. I too am looking forward to it. Anyone noticed that Bethesda will be making fallout 3? Now THAT I want to see.

gotta a question, what is the best config for playing this game at a decent framrate? my rig in my sig runs great in the wilderness, but when i go into to towns, expecialy balmora, it chugs like me drinking milk. lol

if any, tell what would be the best upgrade, i am not going to switch out this system for new mobo and such just wondering what i could do to get some more fps's out of the current setup

BTW i run it at 1280x1024, with the draw distance at about halfway on the slider, and i have realtime shadows at full. besides the constant chug in towns, well outside, it is an awsome game

and the only thing that i might think could be boring, is that it doesnt seem very story driven, i mean yeah you have the nerevarine stuff, but it just seems kinda weak in the power of if, but besides that, Morrowind is kinda like my new Diablo 2! lol

also, that key that you get from the guy you have to give the Dwemer puzzle box to, where is the place you use the key? is it in that chamber that is past that locked door of about 40? any help would rock!

oen thing you can do is turn realtime shadows down... its not really needed and that takes up alot of the power. i dont think that you need to run it in 1280-1024 either. i run mine in 1024x768 and it runs just fine, AND looks awesome. maybe try turning the draw distance just a tad down as well.. see if that works :)

shard said:
gotta a question, what is the best config for playing this game at a decent framrate? my rig in my sig runs great in the wilderness, but when i go into to towns, expecialy balmora, it chugs like me drinking milk. lol

if any, tell what would be the best upgrade, i am not going to switch out this system for new mobo and such just wondering what i could do to get some more fps's out of the current setup

BTW i run it at 1280x1024, with the draw distance at about halfway on the slider, and i have realtime shadows at full. besides the constant chug in towns, well outside, it is an awsome game

and the only thing that i might think could be boring, is that it doesnt seem very story driven, i mean yeah you have the nerevarine stuff, but it just seems kinda weak in the power of if, but besides that, Morrowind is kinda like my new Diablo 2! lol

also, that key that you get from the guy you have to give the Dwemer puzzle box to, where is the place you use the key? is it in that chamber that is past that locked door of about 40? any help would rock!

My comp ran this like a god when it came out.
1800+ pallamino, 256 mb ram (upgraded to 512), ti4200+ 128 mb.

if you re a cheapa$$, id just go buy a mobile barton and a 9800pro. prob wouldnt cost more than 500 bucks and its a decent system. then again, you might as well just save up and get a decent athlon 64 system for a comprable price.

Man, I had to get this for the PC (have the Xbox version) so I could take advantage of the mods, only problem is I am having a hard time finding good discriptions of the mods in a central place where I can figure out which is best for what I want.

Maybe you guys can help me create a list?

Things that I'd like to improve:

1) NPC variaty
2) housing
3) Improved landscape/towns/texture mods
4) anything to make the towns feel more "alive"
5) Additional quests/items

Pretty much anything to add improved NPCs/towns/items/quests/monsters so the world feels more alive and less sterile if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the help.

ps I'll be sifting through these 4 pages for recomended mods when I get home.

EDIT: I have the version with both expansions.

EDIT 2:

I just downloaded the top 20 mods from one of the sites and the game is so full of life. Not like the sterile world without the mods. Very nice.

Also, the gfx are fantastic. They are better then 95% of todays games and it was made what, 4 years ago?

Last edited:
corrections (races):screwy:

:) im not trying to sound rude but alot of the stuff said on this is wrong. for a start being a dark elf (dunmer), although they are good all rounders are definetly not best for theiving i would actually reccomend khajiit for theiving as they have extensive skill boosts to help theives although you cannot where boots and helms.

If you need information on morrowind( or other elder scrolls games) i would strongly reccomend going to http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page
this is a imfomative and easy to use website with almost everything you need to know about the game:)

Holy thread revival batman! littleblondkid; don't you think the above conversation is old enough? How did you come across it, google search? The game came bundled with my Geforce 4 Ti 4600!

Wow, didn't expect to see a Morrowind thread here this morning. But while it's here and since it's one of my favorite games of all time, I'll throw in that the Wiki linked to is a great resource for Morrowind and Oblivion.

Back