• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard to Overclock an i7-2600 (non k)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quintus

Hi!

I have an i7-2600 (not a k version) and read that with many motherboards you can easily OC an i7-2600 to something more decent even if it's not a k (i'm a noob btw). So I'm looking for a low cost or used mobo for that (socket 1155, with 2x usb 3.0 ports).

My plan is to buy an Oculus Rift after it comes out, having the minimum specs, and avoiding buying a lot of new stuff right now (i'll wait for cv2 for a new serious pc build). I though that an OC version of i7-2600 would be efficient enough for that (if I'm not wrong).

I'll just wait for the new pascal GPU from Nvidia to get a decent graphic card, and get a fan (noctua rad or watercooling) for the CPU that I'll be able to keep for my next build.

My question is: What kind of mobo would you advice me to take? Will it be easy? (any automatic process?) I've seen a tuto there
for an ASUS P8P67 but can't find this model for cheap actually.

Thanks for your time and have a good day! :)

(PS: I have a Dell motherboard... that's why I need to change it... ;) Perhaps the PSU too).

Last edited:
For day to day usage you're not going to get more than about a 2-3% overclock unless you're running a 2600K.
Note that overclocking it requires using bclk to overclock and that will run the speeds up on the RAM, PCIe bus, and everything else in the system.

If you're planning to get a GPU to put in the system you'll almost definitely need a different PSU.

Thanks for your answer!

Only 3-4%? He get's it from 3,4Ghz to 4,3/4,5Ghz with a BCLK of 106.5 (wouldn't do that much, perhaps 103 max) on the youtube vid above, am I getting something wrong?

(Is that dangerous for the GPU as the PCIe bus speeds up to?)

Perhaps I'll need to wait to change everything, that "no-k" proc thing is awful.. didn't know much about it when I bought it ^^

Last edited:
Going to 103MHz, from 100MHz, on the BCLK nets you a 3% gain.
Upping the bclk, if you go too far, can cause issues with both GPU's and SATA devices.

Personally, I would just run stock and lock in full turbo speed (if the board will let you) until you can upgrade the whole system.

You should be able to lock the full turbo speed AND BCLK on top of that.

But, that is it. As ATM said, BCLK on that generation is good from 100-105 or so.

Assuming the Dell motherboard will let him lock full turbo though.
Not worth buying a board just for that, IMO. A lot of Dell boards/cases/PSU's aren't standard ATX equipment.

Wut? Didn't know I could lock it! Thanks :) (well i'll see later if it's good enough to use an oculus cv1).

Back