• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MS Flight Simulator Spec Released

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
Microsoft has released the Minimum, Recommended, and Ideal spec's for the new Flight Simulator. I was thinking the RTX 2070 Super would have met the Ideal spec, but this is telling me I'll need a 2080. :shock:
It would be nice if they mentioned what resolution (1080p, 1440p, 4k) requires each level of detail. I'm planning to get a 1440p 144hz monitor with my new build.

Slide1.jpg

Fs2020 sparked my interest to fiddle in fsx again. I will admit though, comparing it to screenies and videos of fs2020, it is starting to look dated no matter how you dress up the skeleton.:(
Reminds me of that feeling when I ran fsx compared to fs2004. And fs2004 compared to fs2002, but that jump was more about sky department.

One thing that's a bit of a turn off is the constant need to have internet for textures. I guess having everything stored locally is out of the question with the amount of data you have access to.

Has anyone noticed complete lack of rotary wing in any of the alpha/leaked footage? That I find mildly disturbing.:sly:

Edit: :pics: hence, another one!!:clap:

microsoft-flight-simulator-ny.jpg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Interesting find::

THREE MODES: ONLINE, OFFLINE AND HYBRID
This online “streaming” of data is something that has been worrying future users.

“Do we need to be online the whole time?”

“My internet connection is very slow! I won’t be able to enjoy the sim!!!”

These are just a couple of examples of how worry folks are about this streaming thing. And rightly so.

Microsoft told us there will be three levels of detail / bandwidth use:

This is where everything will be amazing and perfect, with the highest quality possible, if your bandwidth allows you.

If it doesn’t, “adaptive streaming” kicks in where the sim verifies your bandwidth and will display the scenery the best way possible, considering your limitations.

Yes, you can go offline, completely offline and not download anything. The sim will still have great quality (trust me, if it’s as good as the screenshots we’ve seen, offline mode will be miles ahead of a lot of sims out there, filled with addons!).

So, if you don’t have internet connection, you will still be able to have a great quality scenery with a high level of quality and accuracy.

HYBRID
You can also cache parts of the scenery, downloading it as you go online and then use the cached data and files, even if offline.

This allows you to, for example, download the high-quality imagery and data for a region you want to fly at, during the night, and use it the day after, completely offline or not.

Between these 3 modes, you will certainly find a way to use the sim. Even with little to no bandwidth.

GRASS,

https://www.helisimmer.com/articles/hands-on-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020

Edit2: ...and so much for "simulation". They just had to :sly: 'simulate' that curve to keep misinformed public happy..

microsoft-flight-simulator-600km_cloud_drawdistance.jpg

Last edited:
Eeek, but just looks amazing. TBH to be flying around without blowing things up, it's going to have to be pretty to keep my attention.

Why? What's not fun about cruising at 30,000 feet in a 737? Grab a smartphone meanwhile and post your progress with selfies in the coxkpit:D (being aarastic:p)

They had missions in FSX which kept th9ngs interesting and their voice overs were pretty good.

I like flying the smaller planes & site seeing. The ICON is really cool, two seat plane that can land on runway or water (the default plane from MS Flight). The big jets are too complicated (IMO if you do it correctly). It is called flight simulator after all. Lots of setting routes and just watching the autopilot from an altitude that lets you look at cloud tops. But that's what I like about the FS series, there is something for everyone. I remember mods for FS9 or FSX that let you fly combat aircraft, but there was no shooting IIRC.

there is no shooting in fs but, air racing and modding an f/a 18 under the hood of A hot air balloon or an sr71 under the hood of a 172 is quite A bit of fun.

Yes I was referring to DCS World. I did enjoy a lot of the missions in FSX and the progression, including flying the Hornet, but at some point I picked up DCS and now I'm completely hooked on that game. The base game is free, however aircraft, maps and campaigns all cost money. There is of course a learning curve of adding combat systems on top of flight systems, but it is a lot of fun. Of course many of the modern jets don't require that much stick and rudder flying, but there are plenty of other activities to keep you busy.

Taco, all airliners now, can take off, fly the route, land, all without A pilot.
The pilot is there just so you'll get on the plane and just in case there is A system failure.
this is why all young people should get their ATP rating.

Eeek, but just looks amazing. TBH to be flying around without blowing things up, it's going to have to be pretty to keep my attention.

I was completely enthralled with aviation when I was younger and dreamed of being a pilot. Flight Sims were the closest thing for me, though, I did take ground school and about 20 hrs of flight lessons.

For me, learning how to fly and navigate properly using the instruments was the fun in the game. In newer MS FS's they had the real world weather feature which was sweet. It was also fun to create some nasty 0 visibility situations and practice flying from point A to B using nothing but instruments. A fun challenge for the desktop pilot without an IFR rating.

There were/are also multiplayer rooms with real people doing air traffic control which adds a whole other dimension to the game.

A friend and I would often just fly around together, either exploring rugged land in bush planes or doing long hauls and just shooting the **** over voip. Our longest flight ever was NYC to London in real time with a 747. I recall one of us crashing on landing though. We did that trip a few times in a few different aircraft, such as the Concord.

We would also do challenge runs, pick a trip that would be just out of range for our aircraft and we would see who had the skill to make it. Or simulate various component failures.

Definitely not the kind of action that is for everyone but it can be a really good time if you are into it.

I was completely enthralled with aviation when I was younger and dreamed of being a pilot. Flight Sims were the closest thing for me, though, I did take ground school and about 20 hrs of flight lessons.

For me, learning how to fly and navigate properly using the instruments was the fun in the game. In newer MS FS's they had the real world weather feature which was sweet. It was also fun to create some nasty 0 visibility situations and practice flying from point A to B using nothing but instruments. A fun challenge for the desktop pilot without an IFR rating.

There were/are also multiplayer rooms with real people doing air traffic control which adds a whole other dimension to the game.

A friend and I would often just fly around together, either exploring rugged land in bush planes or doing long hauls and just shooting the **** over voip. Our longest flight ever was NYC to London in real time with a 747. I recall one of us crashing on landing though. We did that trip a few times in a few different aircraft, such as the Concord.

We would also do challenge runs, pick a trip that would be just out of range for our aircraft and we would see who had the skill to make it. Or simulate various component failures.

Definitely not the kind of action that is for everyone but it can be a really good time if you are into it.

Absolutely agree with all of that, and I had some great times in FSX as well. DCS has all of that, plus combat. When I first started flying I was still trying to figure out how to fly the jet and got shot down by a SAM. It was frustrating. Anyway a decent learning curve above the aviation skills, I find myself always learning and always challenged. The game is definitely flawed but with one module available for free on steam I'd recommend everyone try it out.

Also stoked for the new flight sim, my comment was more a dig at FSX graphics than flight siming in general. But I also have the DCS bug and can't shake it.

And DCS has (already) VR integration.

FS 2020 looks amazing though and hopefully VR will come soon after launch from what I'ver read.

I just noticed that they differentiate specifically between AMD and Intel. I wonder if that means anything with respect to performance.🤔

Eh, I don't think it means much. I still remember back when I first got into PC gaming, some games would list, say, "Pentium 4 @ 2GHz Or Equivelent". Breaking it out like that just makes side by side comparisons easier.

I'm just surprised they don't have a "God Spec" where every line item is "Go out and buy a plane".

Eh, I don't think it means much. I still remember back when I first got into PC gaming, some games would list, say, "Pentium 4 @ 2GHz Or Equivelent". Breaking it out like that just makes side by side comparisons easier.

...".
Taco had that:D

Way to pop my bubble there, Sir JLK:D
I remember shopping g for FS2002: professional edition and looking at specs, "hmm, says it needs a video card...I wonder if I have that.."
Not even kidding, noob level 1. Turns out my pc was equipped with geforce2 ti 64mb AGP4x.

Back