• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 9800 Pro story

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Verocity

Registered
Please excuse the story. I was bored and thought I'd take a crack at some story telling.

---

It was a Saturday not unlike many others. I awoke around noon after another 'late' night binge playing Horizons. My wife and daughter were already awake waiting for me to awake from my coma. Todays plan was a trip to my parents house for a nice birthday dinner my mother had planned. I'm soon to be 29 but I am not panicking yet. 30 is still one more year to go. Birthdays seems to come too fast and frequent these days.

We gathered our belongings and began the 1 hour drive. It was an uneventful drive if you do not count the 45 minutes of mind numbingly children's songs that were requested by my 3yr old daughter. I do not think I can handle another 'Bingo' or 'Old McDonald' song again but madness ensues.

I arrive at my parent's house to see my father holding an extended nozzle connected to a wet/dry vacuum onto the house near a small crevace between a window and the sophet. Bees were adding to the chaos. "This works great!" he exclaimes. "I'm sucking all the bees out and the ones that try to fly back in get sucked up too!" I look around to make sure no one else sees me enter the house.

It was a wonderful dinner. My grandparents were also in attendance. My mother makes the most wonderful stuffed shells with homemade spaghetti sauce. She knows it's my favorite so I get it every year. Now comes the time for gifts. A few cards and a wrapped clothes box.(You know what I mean. We all know which presents have clothes in them) The cards contain some money which is always nice. The box contains a new Simpsons T-shirt and a few pairs of boxers. I briefly lament on the idea of my mother still buying me underwear but thank her for the gifts.

My wife then informs me that my birthday gift is $150 to spend with as I please. Though I work and make a decent salary, to have money to spend with my wife's blessing is a miracle in and of itself. "Jackpot!" I quietly say to myself.

With a few quick clicks of the mouse I adventure over to pricewatch. I proceed to locate a new graphics card, fill out the shipping information, and click the "submit order" button. It is done.

I've always owned a nVidia product. TNT2 32MB, Geforce256 64MB, and my GF3 Ti500. They have all served me well. As of last week I thought the choice was obvious. A new FX5900 for $250. Great price for a great card. Oh how times can change. I, like everyone else frothing at the mouth, can not wait for the extacy that is Half-Life 2. Gabe Newell was kind enough to give us all a glimpse of what he and Valve had to offer. To my supprise it went against everything I thought I knew about nVidia and ATI. I have come to the realization that pure hardware muscle must beat software optimizations. The bar had been set. DX9 for all your future gaming needs. ATI met that bar where nVidia seems to barely be able to hold its chin up to it on top of boxes of various versions of its Detenator driver sets.

One ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB card is due to arrive in a few days. As I count the seconds to its arrival, I thought I would share this little strange, if not quirky story with you all. I do feel some love lost as I switch between what I think is the heart of every gaming rig. ATI, I now welcome you with open arms.

---

Thanks!

P.S. I assume I need to uninstall any dentenator drivers on my XP machine before installing the new card?

:eek: where'd you get a 9800Pro for $250!?!?!? I've been looking for a 9800np for a couple weeks and found one for $235 that's ALWAYS out of stock. For another 15 bucks I'll just get a Pro :D

Uninstall the detonator drivers and then use Detonator RIP to get rid of the last vestiges of nvidia's drivers.

jolly good story
uninstall the detonators, then run detonator destroyer (or an equivalent program) to make sure they're all gone. otherwise you might have to reinstall your OS (as i did, when i switched from nv to ati and the detonators remained, screwing everything up. really made me dislike nvidia)

The Fx5900 isn't homo... Anyways I just sold my FX 5900 128 Meg video card on eBay for $350 I love impulse buyers :D!!!!!! I too am going to finally switch over to the ATI side. Like Verocity nVidia has served me well (I still use my Elsa geforce 2 gts 32 meg for testing and backup work. But I will soon be buying a 9800 or 9800XT. Nice story. But it could have used a reoccurring motif or some thesaurus adjectives :D

As for driver cleaning the above methods are fine but a reformat is always nice for overall system performance and it makes everything squeaky clean. I do them about every 2-3 months it seems. Although I am sure that will be about 5-6 now that college is starting backup.

Wow a reformat every 2-3 months? I reformat maybe twice a year and that's a pain in itself making backups and things. I'm thinking about getting a small Raptor just for the OS but I don't know if there's a way to 'reinstall' programs to the registry after reinstalling the OS. I really just need a larger slower drive for mass storage and move everything to that drive before I reformat.

Hehehe I can do a full reformat and have SP1 installed in just under 1 hour and about 2 hours max for total installation of plugins, games, backedup files and programs. I just throw about 6 gigs of backup on my dads computer over out lan. Works pretty well.

Back