• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First attempt at a top end gaming build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Definitely Vertex 4 over Agility 3.
Samsung 830 is also very good.
Crucial M4 is good.
Larger SSDs are better where possible, IE one 512 rather than 2x 256, one 256 rather than 2x 128.
TRIM now works in raid (at least for some SSDs) so you can use Raid arrays, but one larger drive is still preferred.

If you want to call this a top end gaming build crossfire 6670s is not on that list.... Dont get me wrong the 6670 is a great card, my wife uses on in dual graphics with her APU and were very happy with it, however, you should definitely be looking at the 7xxx series if you want an AMD GPU. The 78(50/70) are excellent cards and should beat the pants off that 6670 crossfire handily.

I definitely concur on the single SSD front also. is 2x 256GB drives faster at sequential reads than a 512 sure, but that 512 can probably rock its socks off when it comes to small files or random read/writes are counted. Plus its one less point of failure.

Dont waste your money on an H60, a decent air cooler will out perform it. With LCLC kits and AMD FX CPUs its 2x120 radiator or bust. There are a few that fit that profile now such as the H100, or the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme. Otherwise get yourself a nice fat air cooler it will do a better job than a single 120mm radiator kit.

All 8150's are "Black Editions," that one comes with AMD's stock water cooler. That's why it's more expensive. The Phanteks in my build is much better.

When all tests show Intel beating AMD in all results that matter to gaming, even tho it comes with a low end OEM = H60 CPU cooler (beat by better quality air cooling) you can see our reasoning.

It's your stuff though.

You said "a top gaming build". AMD ain't top end anymore.

When all tests show Intel beating AMD in all results that matter to gaming, even tho it comes with a low end OEM = H60 CPU cooler (beat by better quality air cooling) you can see our reasoning.

It's your stuff though.

You said "a top gaming build". AMD ain't top end anymore.

Yes and personally I would pair that Phanteks with a 3770k or 3570k and run them at 4.6ghz - 4.8ghz 24/7 and never have to worry about buying a CPU again. Or at least for the next four or five years or so.

Back