• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My How Times have Changed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember a lively discussion on a thread I had with a senior member who thought that the AMD PR rating system was a pathetic attempt to sell cpus. Well it seems as though it is not so bad after all - so much so that Intel are considering their own kind of numbering system. Anyone think the numbering system under proposal and the issues Intel are having ramping up frequencies are related?

OC Detective said:
Anyone think the numbering system under proposal and the issues Intel are having ramping up frequencies are related?

Originally posted by Maxvla
perhaps this is a precursor to intel making more work/cycle and alleviating part of the massive heat problem. they want to get everyone accustomed to model numbers again before they start lowering the mhz again.

interesting..

umm.. i think that qualifies..

c627627 said:
Haha, OC means batboy and pretty much every one who hangs around here has had that discussion with him.

batboy is our (Kansas) very own Tom Pabst.

Er no it was not him.
Maxvla - OK so we are in agreement then..

Damian said:
Anyways, I don't see why this matters at all. Can someone please give me a clue as to why marketing decisions like this are significant?
Yeah - we're still going to go by the benchmarks, regardless of what they call the chips.

Unless some special notations are made to differentiate between chips on 533 or 800 FSB or chips with varying cache size or lacking hyperthreading , then this whole exercise will make things even worse .

Yuriman said:
Lol, I can just imagine intel coming out with their new 4ghz processor, and calling it the Pentium4 2400+, faster than a 2.4ghz amd!!

haahahaahah

Anyway,

I find this somehow more confusing than AMD's PR ratings. About as confusing as opteron and FX model numbers, just in greater quantity. How intel will ever deconfuse the layman I do NOT know. :rolleyes:

You gotta remember...most pplz buy Intel chips from an OEM rig. In that respect it wont matter.

However it will be interesting to see AMD and Intel chips at the same frequency:eek:

Ive heard that .09nm SOI process is allowing the Hammers to ramp incredibally well.

I wonder what the benchies would be for a 3.2ghz Clawhammer:cool:

Sentential said:
You gotta remember...most pplz buy Intel chips from an OEM rig. In that respect it wont matter.

However it will be interesting to see AMD and Intel chips at the same frequency:eek:

Ive heard that .09nm SOI process is allowing the Hammers to ramp incredibally well.

Theoretically, a ClawHammer at 3.2 would totally pwn anything else...

Sentential said:

I think that most ppl buying OEM systems is exactly the problem with the proposed model numbers . Because it is exactly those types of people and buisnesses which currently get caught in marketing and hype . While we may read and do research , they often don't , for us performance matters not the rating ( eg the Opterons etc ) for them the buzzwords and naming mean more than performance . I see alot of confused computer buyers in the not too distant future .

Cowboy X said:

I think that most ppl buying OEM systems is exactly the problem with the proposed model numbers . Because it is exactly those types of people and buisnesses which currently get caught in marketing and hype . While we may read and do research , they often don't , for us performance matters not the rating ( eg the Opterons etc ) for them the buzzwords and naming mean more than performance . I see alot of confused computer buyers in the not too distant future .

What AMD needs to do is call the next Opterons/A64's "5000+"s and add something besides HyperTransport with "hyper" in the name.

"Hyperscalar?"
"Hyperdominating?"

:p

AMD me! :attn:

Back