• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my new 2.8c versus dual AMD xp's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
in fact the only thing a P4 3.4 w/HT on has on the Mobile Barton @ 2.6+ speeds is video encoding...and even then its hardly a bad performance for the Barton... [/B]

i'm not so sure about that...

my dual 2.2ghz barton AMD encodes video very fast with SMP enabled...

i use about 70% of total processing power, which leaves quite a bit of power left to do whatever i want without a performance hit...

or i can run two separate instances of encoding at 100% per cpu and get two videos encoded faster than a p4...

dustybyrd said:
i'm not so sure about that...

I was talking about a single Mobile against a single P4 at 3.4...

you can make a good guess about Mobile XP performance scaling by looking at this article which features a mobile at "only" 2.5...

http://bit-tech.net/review/309/1

...some forum members are reporting clocks as high as 3 Ghz with AC chilling...

Dragonprince said:

The real problem is that the AMD AthlonMP dual boards are not keeping up with the single boards as far as performance. If you ran 2 Mobile Bartons at 2.6+Ghz and had Dual Channel memory above PC3200 speeds like the singles are doing I doubt youd be very interested in any single chip P4 system.....in fact the only thing a P4 3.4 w/HT on has on the Mobile Barton @ 2.6+ speeds is video encoding...and even then its hardly a bad performance for the Barton...

I've seen a review at Xbitlabs with a 2.4 ghz athlon vs a 3 ghz P4 and then the 2.5 ghz athlon vs the 3.2 ghz P4 and I would think it would take closer to 2.7-2.8 ghz to match the P4 at 3.4.

Have you seen any reviews with an Athlon clocked higher then 2.5 ghz. I'm pretty interested, but no review sites seem to be doing anything with those new found moblie CPUs.

Back