• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My sound and Vid freezing now???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vaportrail

Registered
I don't get it. I'm running an A7V with 256megs ram, Duron 75 oc'd to 857 currently. Win XP Pro, with a eh um, Diamond Viper V550 vid card, hd is an ultra ata 100 WD. Anyway, I'm running Deus Ex and all was working great (I also had an extra 6 gig hd for backup on my secondary ata 100 port. I was playing the game for a while with no problems and as soon as I removed my backup drive (on it's own as a primary as well), all of a sudden my mouse freezes and when I start the game, the sound stutters and the picture freezes for a split second, but does it continually on and off. What the heck? I took out the ram and cleaned it (using compressed gas duster) and dusted all contacts. Everything works, but just the freezing with sound and picture. I thought it was memory, but the computer recognizes it all and there are no errors in my device manager etc. Please HELP! I'm out of ideas short of wiping my system and reloading XP agian.

No, I didn't. It's all on the C drive and the other hd was on D. I loaded the new Beta drivers from Nvidia, but still no luck.

I'd love to but I gave my hd to a friend because his was only a 1.5 gig, so I don't have it anymore. Should not have mattered seeing that the drive was on a seperate ata connector as a primary. I don't want to have to wipe and reload my XP because My backup was full and to write all that info to disk will take at least 7 disks.

So you did nothing but remove the HDD and it starts freezing.

Tried removing, reinstalling mouse/video drivers? If you're not using the 2nd channel, disable it in the BIOS?

Yes, this is bizarre and doesn't make a lick of sense but I'm trying anyways=P

I did all that but still no go. Unless anyone has any ideas, I'm going to have to reload XP and see if that works. Thanks for all the help MospeadasDark.

You can instead remove your PCI bus, and let the system redetect and reinstall the drivers for everything. It's a long and slow process, but you usually don't lose any information.

Back