• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Natural Selection 2 on Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

after seeing that update 252 was released i took my 250gb sata 2 drive and put it in my computer to install Linux mint.

installation went well and i was able to install graphics drivers and then steam. but when i ran steam i recieved the error message below

Code:
OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering, which may cause performance problems.

For more information visit https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9938-EYZB-7457

i ignored it and went on with installing ns2 for linux and css. after getting them installed, i tried running it but it wouldnt work. after looking around i found the answer to the problem i was having here

once i had finished uninstalling the drivers and running some commands from the site i found, i re installed drivers 13.4 and was able to launch the game. when i got to the main menu, it was mostly grey and showed the black things flying around like flies. i found that if i had some settings set to medium or light the game menu would not look like it should (missing this and that, sometimes things didnt even look right) but after setting it all to max settings the game looked allot better although it looked like it was on semi high settings.

while i was binding my keys, the game did not recognize buttons mouse 4 and 5. but this is the only issue i had which i could not find a solution to but i can say that the rest of the controls work like they should.

game play was smooth enough. just give it some time (around 30 seconds). eventually it will get better while your playing. it wont be as good as windows, but it is playable at a decent level.

if there was one person i could point fingers at, it would be AMD's drivers. i did go through some struggle trying to install their drivers. it would be nice to just install them once and then start playing games like i would on windows. im unsure on how nvidia would run, but it would be nice if a little more effort can be put in improving the linux drivers, especially crossfire support.

curious, but has anyone else tried running ns2 for linux? how well did it work out for you? does it run better on nvidia or amd?

I had no problems on one laptop running Linux Mint 13 x86_64 with Nvidia GTX460.

The other laptop had a meltdown running Mint 13 x86_64 with Nvidia GTX560. Out of the box it worked fine... we had some problems with the tutorial not showing the text during game play.

I tried updating the video card drivers to the latest and I started getting the same message you reference in your post... 2 hours later I couldnt get it fixed, said F it and reinstalled the base OS. In 20minutes I was back up and going with out issue.

Also if anyone else has a problem with text not showing in game, the execute bit was missing on the script.txt. I recursively sit that bit for the entire directory just to be on the safe side...

Played maybe 20 minutes of the tutorial without problems

which drivers did you install? the drivers from ubuntu update or the ones from nvidias website?

I always go with the ones direct from Nvidia website.

Usually I find it best to do this with video drivers.

Additionally there has been a big patch for this game and my experience in Linux has surpassed my experience in Windows

Back