• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with setting up multiple PMW&RGB fans in sync.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Droshik

Hey friends! First post here!
I'm getting a bit frustrated at this point, because I just can't seem to find any adequate information on this, so hope fully someone will be able to help me or point me in the right direction!
I'm building a new PC, last time I did that was over 10 years ago, so A LOT has changed! :shock:
My main question/confusion is:

How do I connect 6, maybe 7 RGB/PMW fans to my motherboard and make sure they all are in sync with the RGB, and also that they are all PMW controlled?

Here are the parts that I'm working with:

Case: Define R6 http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r6-black
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS X CODE https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-CODE/overview/
Fans: EK Vardar EVO RGB https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vardar-evo-120er-rgb-500-2200-rpm

I'm pretty sure based on what I researched so far that I will need some kind of a hub for all the fans, there is a built one in the case already, but I don't think that it will suffice, as it only has 3 PMW connections plus it looks like it doesn't offer any RGB functionalities. I might be wrong. I guess that's why I'm here. :)
Hopefully someone had some experience with a similar setup, and also if you can recommend any cable extensions for the fans to make cable management easier, that would be great too.

Thanks so much in advance, really looking forward to your answers! Cheers.

Doesnt the hub plug into a fan header on the motherboard? If so, you should be able to control the fans through the motherboard i would imagine.

So according to the case's manual, the hub is connected to SATA for power, and one connection goes to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard, which still only allows me to control 3 fans with PMW, I need 6.
And still I have no clue how to sync/daisy-chain/connect all the RGB connectors of the fans. The motherboard only has two 4 pin RGB headers btw.
I literally cannot find any information online which is mind blowing, or I'm just doing a ver terrible job at searching for the past 24 hours.
IMG_4512.jpg

Connect 3 via the hub and attach the other three to the board (Chassis fan headers). They do not plug into the RGB LED headers found on the board. That SHOULD do it. Connect the fans to the hub first and see. If you are able to control them through the mobo/software, than the ones plugged directly in would also sync with everything else.

Are the fans compatible with the Aura software? it should say so...

I do not have RGB LED fans (not my style, lol), so I am not 100% on that. I looked quickly at the EK website and see compatibility, but not sure if each fan has a 4-pin header for RGB LED in addition to the 4 pin fan header (they look different) or not.

...........after thinking, it would make sense the fans each have their own header for RGB LED...

LMK... :)

Yea I think you are right, connecting three fans to the hub (at least the ones that are attached to the radiator) and the other three to the Chassis fan headers on the board SHOULD work :) as far as controlling their speeds that is. Yea the fans are fully compatible with Aura Sync.
And that is the most confusing and frustrating part, figuring out how to get the LED's on the fans to work together. I can't connect everything yet, as I'm still waiting on a few parts for the build should arrive by tomorrow. And yes each fans has two cables coming out, one 4 pin power and one 4 pin RGB. Btw do you know/recommend any extension cables I can get for the fans? Otherwise there is no way they are going to reach all the headers on the board.
IMG_4513.JPG

Back