• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with watercooling setup! gpu and cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I might go for a 480 rad now and then if I decide to add another 290 later I could add another rad. Does that seem reasonable? I think a 480 will be sufficent for a singel gpu and cpu, or am I wrong?

Thanks for sharing you knowledge guys I very much appreciate it

I love people that come in here balls to the wall and actually listen to people.

:welcome:

But I thought, the front only got about 45mm clearance. That means, he must loose the hhd cage?
You do have to remove the hdd cages but with the design of the case you have plenty of space left. SSD are mounted on the back of the cdrom cage and a spinner could be mounted in the cdrom bay no problem.

EDIT: I'll also add this about the airflow coming from the bottom of the case. While it might be better than most, I still think it would be a choke point for air intake. Especially if you have pets or a dusty house. Not to mention there is just a ton of space on the top for a radiator so why not use it.

Hello guys im back! The weekend turned out to be more hectic than I thought it would be, but now im back and have transelated Techbay.no's opinion on silver killcoils. Not that I doubt you guys collective judgement regarding addetives, I just want to know more about how this works and if there is any truth to what they say.

"This is a often recommended pruduct among water cooling enthusiasts. It is argued to prevent algae in water cooling systems.

Silver does not desolve in clean water. The destilled water you use wont be clean for long though, among other thing it will absorb CO2 as soon as it comes into contact with air and become slightly sour. Some silver will then disolve as ions, but in very low consentrations and with a high probability has no effect at all.

Does there exist documentation on silver preventing algee in a watercooling system? No, none at all. On formus around you will find users that claim to have good experiences with siver and you will find users that that claims that silver has no effect, algae grows anyways.

A condition required for the algae to grow is microorganisms. If you use new and unused components and only destilled water you should get a water cooling system competly free of algae. You could also use silver, but the absence of algae should be conributed to absence of mikroorganisms and not to the presence of silver.

What then about glavic corrosion, will silver represent a danger here? The supporters of silver claims that there is no danger and referes to the glavic index. That is wrong. The glavic index applies to metals touching eachother and is not relevant. For metals sunken in coolant the danger has to be evaluated based on the standard elctrode potential. On this index silver finds itself a long ways away from other metals like nickle and copper.

Why does TechBay sell this product? The answere is that we do not want to sell silver IandH Silver KillCoil. We wish to help you stear away form a wrong decison to a right one. Do yourself a favor and buy AquaCoumputer Double Protect or Ekoolant intead. These pruducts properly protect against algae and glavic corrosion."

A site that wants to sell you expensive coolant that is to be replaced at every flush instead of a cheap coil that lasts for years and years posts results contrary to what is accepted by the watercooling community. News at 11.

https://www.silverinstitute.org/site/silver-in-technology/silver-in-medicine/bandages/

http://www.lesliespool.com/Leslies-14037-Silver-Algaecide-1-qt/14037.htm?

For what its worth, ive used nothing but silver in my loop for the last few years, with many parts that have been exposed to air and my hands and the table where i work in my backyard, without anything more than a basic effort to keep them clean. No boiling water, no chemical flushes, nothing more than a tap water flush and a distilled rinse at room temperature.

My loop has been spotless, im still using the original coil. And i see no need at all to get worse perforrmance at a much higher cost running ekoolant or aquacomputer double protect or any other so called coolant that is likely to separate from the water it is suspended in when it gets pushed through the microfins of my cpu block.

If you want trouble free with your water. Use ONLY distilled water and kill coil. Forget about those website claimed. Listen to those here are actually using it and have no problem what so ever. I have been running this method for almost 4 months now and my water is still clear as it was the first time I filled it. And many here have use this method for years and have no issue either. The choice is yours.

A site that wants to sell you expensive coolant that is to be replaced at every flush instead of a cheap coil that lasts for years and years posts results contrary to what is accepted by the watercooling community. News at 11.

https://www.silverinstitute.org/site/silver-in-technology/silver-in-medicine/bandages/

http://www.lesliespool.com/Leslies-14037-Silver-Algaecide-1-qt/14037.htm?

For what its worth, ive used nothing but silver in my loop for the last few years, with many parts that have been exposed to air and my hands and the table where i work in my backyard, without anything more than a basic effort to keep them clean. No boiling water, no chemical flushes, nothing more than a tap water flush and a distilled rinse at room temperature.

My loop has been spotless, im still using the original coil. And i see no need at all to get worse perforrmance at a much higher cost running ekoolant or aquacomputer double protect or any other so called coolant that is likely to separate from the water it is suspended in when it gets pushed through the microfins of my cpu block.

:thup:

If you want trouble free with your water. Use ONLY distilled water and kill coil. Forget about those website claimed. Listen to those here are actually using it and have no problem what so ever. I have been running this method for almost 4 months now and my water is still clear as it was the first time I filled it. And many here have use this method for years and have no issue either. The choice is yours.

:thup:

Read the quote in my signature from martinsliquidlab. A very respected watercooling guru who has done a lot for the watercooling community.

The only rule we have on distilled and coil is change fluids every 6 months and do a complete clean tear down annually. Chances are you won't have anything going on but its always better to be safe than sorry. The equipment will last for years. There's guys with pumps still in use anywhere from 6 to 8+ years and still going strong.

My understanding (and I have no formal education on this, so take that for what it's worth) is that the aqueous copper sulfate that we use is not as effective as silver, but because it's aqueous, it takes effect immediately upon being put into the loop. Silver, on the other hand, is more effective, but it has to ionize into the water, which means that if you're running on just silver, you may have issues early on, but if you make it past the first few weeks you're usually fine.

This is backed up in watching the boards here. People who have issues with silver always seem to have issues early on, I can't think of a single case of someone who had been running silver for a long time and had an biotic growth issue. If you want to be super safe, CuSO4 and a .999 silver kill coil will basically guarantee that you won't have issues.

Again, just what I've seen and read over the years, jmho, ymmv, ianal, etc.

The only rule we have on distilled and coil is change fluids every 6 months and do a complete clean tear down annually. Chances are you won't have anything going on but its always better to be safe than sorry. The equipment will last for years. There's guys with pumps still in use anywhere from 6 to 8+ years and still going strong.
Or add ptnuke to it and go as long as you want. With just ptnuke, distilled water, and silver coil I went two years between cleaning and had ZERO problems. When I took it apart for an upgrade the only thing on anything was plasticizer from the tubes.

Also for the OP. It isn't always the algae growth to worry about when using those "special" liquids. It is the fact that they breakdown over time clogging blocks and radiators. And no matter what they say the cooling benefits they offer are a lie imo.

Destilled water with a kill coil it is then! :)

Im currently just checking out reviews and stuff on different components, im taking as much time as I can to make sure Ill be happy with my setup. I do have a deadline though, since im giving away my current pc to my younger brother and I think he really wants to play Dark Souls 2 on release.:D 14.03.2014 is the magic date, so I hope I can get all the parts I need by then.

The pc components will stay the same, but everything regarding the watercooling setup can change based on your recommendations. Im counting on your help here guys, but as I can see that wont be a problem. :)

Also I noticed just now that in my haste to post I never really told you what I hope to achive with water cooling my system. Basiclly what im looking for is a quiet system and sub 50°C temperatures with a moderate overclock.

Ill make an updated WIP shoppingcart tomorrow for you guys to look at

Thanks again guys!

My understanding (and I have no formal education on this, so take that for what it's worth) is that the aqueous copper sulfate that we use is not as effective as silver, but because it's aqueous, it takes effect immediately upon being put into the loop. Silver, on the other hand, is more effective, but it has to ionize into the water, which means that if you're running on just silver, you may have issues early on, but if you make it past the first few weeks you're usually fine.

This is backed up in watching the boards here. People who have issues with silver always seem to have issues early on, I can't think of a single case of someone who had been running silver for a long time and had an biotic growth issue. If you want to be super safe, CuSO4 and a .999 silver kill coil will basically guarantee that you won't have issues.

Again, just what I've seen and read over the years, jmho, ymmv, ianal, etc.

I've been using Bitspower True Silver barbs in my loop for as long as it has been running, and never had an issue except with a dye bomb that I had a hard time getting cleaned out of a used rad. It ended up coming loose from the rad after a bit and ended up collecting on the walls of my res and blocks. The tubing took a bit of effort to clean too. At the end of the day, vinegar and ketchup saved me a lot of time with cleaning that mess up. Lesson of the day, make sure that the person you are buying used parts from didn't use a dye bomb in their loop. Other than that, no issues with anything growing in my loop. Straight distilled and some silver will do wonders in a loop.

DI water if you're going to be really serious about it I'd think, but that would be overkill a bit and not even running a water set up myself.

The experienced ones in here from using it for years know best I'm sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deionized_water

Distilled for a home computer with some addition things like kill coil just seems to right way to go for the cheap price.

Or similar, I used to run Wire EDM machines a few years back that depended on the DI water for electrical isolation for usage, is similar to distilled, but it's a constant usage thing vs something you change out every 6 months or a year, and not anti-biological.

It is the cheap solution for keep water at almost distilled levels on industrial applications where you are actually dumping metal back into the water stream more or less while using it as an isolation media.

Wire EDM the "Jurrassik Park" these are how we made Dino o soars version.

Not even doing that these days, basically running a HAAS VMC and doing Prototype work a lot.

Last edited:
I've been using Bitspower True Silver barbs in my loop for as long as it has been running, and never had an issue except with a dye bomb that I had a hard time getting cleaned out of a used rad. It ended up coming loose from the rad after a bit and ended up collecting on the walls of my res and blocks. The tubing took a bit of effort to clean too. At the end of the day, vinegar and ketchup saved me a lot of time with cleaning that mess up. Lesson of the day, make sure that the person you are buying used parts from didn't use a dye bomb in their loop. Other than that, no issues with anything growing in my loop. Straight distilled and some silver will do wonders in a loop.

I didn't mean to imply that just silver is a bad route...it's actually what my rig runs

I didn't mean to imply that just silver is a bad route...it's actually what my rig runs

I think my post was more to try to reinforce your statements about distilled and silver. Maybe my wording didn't come across that way...

By the way, would you quit editing my posts 3 years before I post them?:p

Back