• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to know which of these is best for Case Mod.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

strokeside

Question 1:

I'm adding a big side window (almost the whole side panel) to my case, and etching a big design into it. I want to light up the design so was thinking of putting lighted string around the edge of the window, but don't know which of these is brightest:
A) Neon String
B) Electroluminious Strip (EL Strip)
C) UV Florescent PVC Cord
Do you know which one?

Question 2:

I am also replacing the white plastic front of my PC with the same material as my window, and painting one side of it black, then etching a design into it. I want to paint this etch in UV paint and then attach a UV light into the middle of the front to light it up. As the UV light will be below the design, will only the bottom of the front etch light up or will the whole thing?
Because:
A) if it doesn't, then I'll need to think about another method of lighting.
b) if it does, I need to find the best way to incorporate a UV light into a sheet of plastic.

Any suggestions or anything about my plans are welcome, especially answers.
s.

I suggest the EL wire (or neon string as you put it).

The UV design on the front would be lit up just fine with a UV cold cathode. If you put it flush with the front face, only the bottom will be properly lightd like you said. You need to place the CC light several inches from whatever youre lighting up for it to be fully effective. This give the light space to spread and diffuse over the whole design. UV light gets washed out easily if you dont set it up correctly. What you could do is put several small CC lights around the design. Then you should get the saturation you want.

The etch on the front panel is up in front of the 5 1/2" drive bays and the plastic with the etch will be the only cover for these bays so I guess I could mount the UV light directly behind the etch (allowing for the inch or two to let the light diffuse), should work fine.
And I thought the Neon string would be the way to go.

As for pics, I have none taken of the area to be used, and none drawn of what it might look like so I can't post them up.

When I am doing it though I will take a few and then post them up in a thread when finished.

All together with my UV reactive H2O TEC system should look might Bling-Bling!

Back