• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*NEW* 3.0E Prescott

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macadonious

I know this might not seem like alot to some of you, but I have no one here to appreciate this. I have a new 3.0GHz Prescott with the Thermalright XP-97 sitting on top. I also used Actic Silver 5 between. So far with only running Folding@Home I am running between 43 and 44 degrees Celsius. Is that good? Or do you think that is too high. :burn:
f5c853a7.jpg

Last edited:
Those temperatures are real good! I'm running a 3.2 at around 45-50 idle, and I even have an lga775 platform. Those are supposed to limit the heat of the prescott. basically what i'm saying is, those temperatures are good.

Well that makes me feel better. I turned off the Folding@Home program and my temps lowered to a steady 37 to 38 degrees Celsius. I also have it now Oc'ed to 3.3GHz or 10%

Macadonious said:
Well that makes me feel better. I turned off the Folding@Home program and my temps lowered to a steady 37 to 38 degrees Celsius. I also have it now Oc'ed to 3.3GHz or 10%

intel board? :-/

Of course Intel boards can OC. You do not think only AMD cornered the market for OCing did ya? :santa2:

By the way, the fan on this thing is as LOUD hades. Need a quieter fan. It is so bad I have to turn up my volume just to here sound. :cry:

Last edited:
It says you have an Asus board in your sig... :eh?:

Are you using another board for overclocking?

Just to add to this thread, yes some Intel boards can overclock. The "bonanza" board can overclock to a maximum of 15% if I remember right.

Nice temps at any rate :)

mtb856 said:
It says you have an Asus board in your sig... :eh?:

Are you using another board for overclocking?

Just to add to this thread, yes some Intel boards can overclock. The "bonanza" board can overclock to a maximum of 15% if I remember right.

Nice temps at any rate :)
:) What is in my sig is what I am OCing. An Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. I have the ablity to OC with this board up to 30%. Although, I have never done that.

32c idle wtf? You live in alaska or something, and the reason i thought intel boards couldnt oc is because they dont want ppl oc'in there cpus =/

Are you using software to OC or are you using the BIOS? It would be ideal if you could enter the BIOS and increase the FSB.

Well, you know it could very well be the monitoring program showing the temperatures wrong, but the temps that I stated are being shown by SmartGuardian which came with my motherboard, so I'm assumign they are correct.

I wouldnt use the a.i overclocking feature as it will lower your mem divider and raise memory timing hurting performance, set it to standard and raise the FSB to overclock it i.e to overclock 10% raise the fsb from 200 to 220.

Very nice temps, a lot lower than my 3.0E (D0, late november) was. It idled at ~50C and load was 65C on cheap water-cooling (TT BigWater), 66C with a Hyper6 with 2x42db Akasa fans.

jenko said:
I wouldnt use the a.i overclocking feature as it will lower your mem divider and raise memory timing hurting performance, set it to standard and raise the FSB to overclock it i.e to overclock 10% raise the fsb from 200 to 220.
That is precisely how I have mine set up.

Are you using software to OC or are you using the BIOS? It would be ideal if you could enter the BIOS and increase the FSB.
I use the BIOS and the Asus soft where to monitor temps.
Currently, with no progrmas running except Nortan firewall, Antiviruse, and Weatherbug, I am idling at 40C

My Northwood 2.4 oc'ed to 3.2 (400fsb oc'd to 533fsb in my sig) is starting to exhibit the Northwood "slow" death syndrome after folding nearly 24x7 since last March.... it's now randomly hanging and rebooting, despite running fairly cool, but with the wire-pin voltage mod to get 3.2Ghz out of it.

I've got a chance to get one of these new 3.0E Prescotts (OEM, socket 478) for a really good price, and of course I'll have to get a new mobo, memory, etc. My existing Thermalright SP-94 heatsink should be ideal for the Prescott chip too, and I hope to still be able to use my existing Antec 400W (not a "TrueXXX" series, but the old fashioned plain 400W PSU). I'm not too concerned with SATA or onboard RAID controllers since I have a pair of 120GB Seagate regular ATA/100 hard drives hosted on a Promise PCI raid card I intend to re-use.

What is the general opinion for the #1 overclocking mobo for these Prescotts these days? I'd like to stick with either ASUS of ABIT since I've had best luck with these two brands over the years.

Seems like the ABIT IC7, IC7-G or IC7-MAX3 and ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe are the most talked about mobos for oc'ing a Prescott. The ASUS is hideously priced... at about $180. The IC7-MAX3 is almost impossible to locate right now, and is also very expensive at the one website I found that has some in stock. The plain IC7 and IC7-G are much more affordable, but many owners are reporting that the onboard audio leaves a lot to be desired. Is the audio on the IC7-G really all that bad? Is the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe really worth $55 more than an ABIT IC7-G ? I desire to overclock the snot out of the Prescott chip, and use the machine for heavy gaming and folding when I'm not gaming. Audio quality is important to me, but I don't really want to buy an add-in soundcard.

I've also thought somewhat about the 865 chipset mobos, but recently helped a friend build a new machine around an ASUS P4P800-SE mobo, and it was OK and did overclock fairly well, but it didn;t really knock my socks off.

Last edited:
Back