• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build by Complete Novice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beginnerpcbuild

Registered
ok guys have a look at my first build on a budget and let me know your thoughts

ps I have already bought the case, so work around that if you are going to give me advice on what to buy and what not to buy etc.

CiT Vantage Midi Gaming Case
XFX Radeon HD 7770 Graphics Card 1GB PCI Express 3.0 x16 Mini-DisplayPor​t/HDMI/Dual-Lin​k DVI-I (Double Dissipation Edition)
AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition
Asus M5A78L/USB3 Motherboard (Socket AM3+, DDR3, 5200MT/S, ATX)
Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Memory (2 of those)
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA III 6 Gbps Internal 3.5 inch Hard Drive
CiT 650W Gold Edition PSU

I'm from the uk and from uk websites this totals to about £550 ($865). As this is my first build, I'd like to keep it under £800 ($1250). But if this wasn't possible I'd be willing to spend a couple of hundred more.

What are the uses of this machine?

I would get a PSU from our list (see the link in my signature for our PSU guide). Also, for that money, there isnt a reason not to go intel with that budget.

Scan has some incredible deals.

EDIT: Well you seem to be getting a PSU from the other thread...what's the budget for only the components that you need, and what are those components? xxx amount for everything except a case and PSU?

Last edited:
earthdog, remember I am in the uk, parts seem to be more expensive here. Intel would be good though. Let me know what you think. I'm going to use it for general use and I may start to play some games.

XFX Radeon HD 7770 Graphics Card 1GB PCI Express 3.0 x16 Mini-DisplayPor​t/HDMI/Dual-Lin​k DVI-I (Double Dissipation Edition) £130 / $204
AMD HDZ965FBGMBOX Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3 Black Edition £82 / $128
Asus M5A78L/USB3 Motherboard (Socket AM3+, DDR3, 5200MT/S, ATX) £62 / $97
Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Memory (2 of those) £12 / $18
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA III 6 Gbps Internal 3.5 inch Hard Drive £67/$105

I may look at getting ssd too

I remember where you are at... you would need to look at the list and see whats available in your neck of the woods.

+1 to Knu's build per usual. :)

thats what i thought.

That website is ace. I've been using google shopping to search for the items on other websites, but scan has never came up. maybe google and scan don't get along lol.

OK knufire, I'm going to follow your list now. In your opinion is my case quite good? I only paid £36 for it.

Only thing that I don't like about it is the top mounted PSU...can't tell if it has cable management holes or not either.

PSUs are one of the heaviest parts of a computer...things get rather tippy when the weight is up high. Bottom mounted PSUs, like most new cases are, are usually sturdier.

I see. well thats not quite so bad, I thought maybe it ran hotter etc. Surely the case will compensate for that, maybe with a heavier bottom etc. I don't know, I'm guessing lol.

Well I'll have to save my *** off to afford this, but it'll be worth it. Might check out the finance options lol

Ehhh... here is the thing.. if you buy in a couple months from now, that list could be rendered useless... THings change too fast in this area. This gives you a good base, but I would bump the thread when you are ready to buy (within a month)

Back