• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build seems to have many problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yeoman

Okay, I'm new to building computers, but I took a lot of care when assembling my parts (and used an antistatic wrist strap). I haven't yet installed an OS. First I'll list what components I have:

Intel i5-2500k (with stock cooler).
Asus P8P67 Intel P67 B3 Revision.

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel
MSI ATI Radeon HD 6850 Cyclone Power Edition 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Samsung SH-B123L
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache

Zalman Z9 plus case
Antec HCG 620w

There are four main issues I seem to be having:

(1) CPU overheats (shows 97 degree C)
(2) On the first 'info' screen at bootup, I get a "Hard disk not detected message"
(3) PC almost always turns on, turns off, then turns back on again when booting.
(4) Side case fan is annoying loud (sounds like its catching on itself maybe?) It certainly doesn't help calm the nerves when turning it on.

(1) Regarding the CPU overheating; I think this is my fault. When I turned it on for the very first time, I hadn't got the cooler in properly, so two of the pins came lose when the fan came on. My impression was this spoilt the spread of the stock paste, and was probably the reason for the same 97 degree C on subsequent boots.
After initially correctly attaching the cooler, I subsequently took it off again, and then put it back on; this seemed to have some effect, and temps where at 65ish, when i got into the BIOS, but would rise into the red after about 60 seconds.
On account of this, I felt sure that replacing the thermal paste would alleviate the overheating worry. I ordered some AS5, that came with some paste remover and primer as well. I removed the paste from the cpu and heatsink, and then applied the AS5 to the cpu as seen in videos, put the heatsink over it to spread the paste and locked it in place.
However; the cpu temp is only around 60ish now, and it still steadily rises (it went to 75 after about 5 minutes). I don't know if theres something I've done wrong, or if I used to much or too little paste, or didn't clean the surfaces well enough or what. I'm very confused and a little glum.

(2) Hard disk not detected message: It seems pretty well connected, and in the BIOS the make/model is recognised in the boot options section.

(3)PC starts up, and all the fans come on, everything seems to come on; then the fans seem to go quiet, and the system seems to reboot and then work as normal.

(4) Noisy fan. If I turn it on with the side panel off, and tilt it from 90degrees, to say 80degress (towards the case/inwards), the fan 'rattleing' stops.

Well, I think thats everything I can think of that might be useful right now. I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Daniel,

Welcome,

Hopefully some of the more experienced users can help assist with some of these issues you are having. Thanks for having detailed information on your process/problems and what you have tried.

For the CPU and cooler, try adding a little pressure to the heatsink (pushing down a bit on the heatsink) and see if this affects your temp. If it is very clearly seated correctly and there isn't much of a change in temps, then perhaps it is a bad CPU. Those temps are very high for stock.

For the TIM, when you applied you should only need about a grain of rice size, maybe a little smaller placed in the center, the weight of the heatsink should help disperse it. if you see any TIM pushing out from the edges then there was too much TIM applied.

Yup same as above. Look in side your case see if any wires are hitting the fan causing that noise if not it seems that the fan is defective. For the hard drive try another sata port, if the problem still occurs then check the sata cable get another one (switch the one from your cd drive) and if worse comes to worse try another hard drive and is the system rebooting or just powering on because all computers, when they start, start the fans at high speeds then the speed calms down its part of the test but if it shuts down then reboots you might have a faulty mobo (thats what it seems like to me there is no way that the cpu temps are that high at stocks speeds so maybe that mobo is broken) OR your psu doesn't have enough wattage to support the system. and the cpu might just be a bad chip or your mobo is broken and the thermal sensors are off or something this sounds like a faulty mobo to me but lets get some others opinion.

Back