• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Squadfer

Hello everyone. With Black friday right around the corner I figured I would start on my build list for a new computer. This build will be replacing my main system in my sig and get me back into water cooling again.

Here is the parts list that I have choosen so far.
Intel i7-4770K
ASRock z87 OC Formula I choose this board purely on aesthetics. I saw this board and instantly wanted to go with a black/yellow theme for this build.
ADATA XPG Gaming V2.0 2X8GB Will be getting two sets to make 32gb ram (VM's love ram...)
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Corsair HX1050

I currently have a Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 and LOVE it. However, I plan on having a bay reservoir/pump combo so the 2 5.25 drive bays it provides is not enough for me. Because of this, I am going to go with the Fractal Design Arc XL. This gives me 4 bays 1 for optical, 1 for fan controller and 2 for the reservoir that i'm planning on using.
Fractal Design XL

At this time, I have a Sapphire 7970 dual X. I do want to get my video card under water so that forces me to have to buy a new video card due to this card not using a reference board. However, this will be done early next year or so to help with the upfront costs and to wait to see if new cards come out. I currently don't know the time frame on new cards as the 780ti's and 290x's just came out. I do know that I will be looking for 6gb ram cards as I'm currently running 2560X1440 but I might like to jump to 7680X1440... Don't know if I will go that high of a resolution or not...

Onto the water cooling components.
As stated above I'm going with a bay reservoir/pump combo.
Monsoon Serires two with MCP35X pump
For the rads I'm going with two Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta dual 140mm. Alphacool NexXxoS 1 located in the front bottom and 1 located at the top rear of the Arc XL case.
If I have room I might add a Alphacool single 80mm thick 120mm rad at the bottom of the case between the psu and the front rad. (will measure this out before I buy it)
For tubing I'm going with 3/8" ID X 5/8"OD primochill yellow tubing
I will also be using a variety of 3/8ID X 5/8OD black compressions fittings as well.
For the fans I choose Gelid FN-PX14-12 because they have a high CFM and a relatively high static pressure given that they are a 140mm fan.
For the CPU block I already have a EK Supreme HF in my possession from my last endeavor with water cooling. I might have to order new mounting hardware for it as I currently don't know where I placed the extras and it has the AMD hardware installed on it at this moment...

Let me know your thoughts. This particular mobo isn't final but the color scheme of it is.

This Seasonic, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110 is fully modular, same specs, at $169.99 after mir, $189 pre mir. The fan cover is gold, but can be detached, and painted yellow if you like.
:thup:
Thanks for the heads up on that psu. I will add it to my list to watch out for when it comes time for me to hit the buy button. As far as the fan grill, I will most likely position the PSU to where the fan will suck air into the case from the bottom. I could flip it and have the fan positioned on top and paint it yellow as I will be doing quite a bit of painting anyways. That idea will be ironed out once I have the parts in hand though.

For this build.. what would y'all choose windows 7 pro or windows 8.1 pro? Is the new features that much better than windows 7? Excluding the whole tablet touchscreen stuff as I will be disabling/bypassing as much of that bs as I can.

Back