• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new gaming laptop has very low benchmark, searching for bottleneck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abitavenger

Hey everybody!

I just recently bought an Asus GL502V Laptop with a 7700HQ @2.8ghz, a 1070 w/8gb ram, 16gb ram, ssd. All the games I have played have looked great and performed awesome so far so I'm not entirely too upset but I am curious why this laptop with this much "horsepower" would score such a low unigine heaven benchmark score? I have monitored temps during the benchmark and the CPU gets up near 85-88c so I have heard of people undervolting the cpu because from factory it is high and undervolting obviously lowers temp a little. I don't think that would work for me because it didn't even get hot enough to throttle according to HWINFO. I have updated Nvidia drivers and everything else is up to date. Any ideas?

heaven benchmark.jpg

Are you looking at the GPU? That would seem a more obvious place to look first than the CPU. Find out what boost clocks the GPU is actually running at during the bench, compared to desktop equivalents. If you run something like GPU-z, what does it indicate as the limiting factor? Is it thermal throttling?

What settings do you have in place in Heaven? If you turn the detail down, does it impact the score much?

Your numbers are definitely a little low.

Bench here shows an Asus G752VS with same gpu scoring 2212 and 87.8 fps on same settings. The 6820HK might be a little bit better than the 7700HQ but it should be the problem here. Yours has G-Sync not sure if that could be bringing numbers down some. The G752VS is a higher end machine but something still has to be holding you back.

Interesting comment on G-sync, I was only running it for the first time recently and 3DMark warned it should be turned off otherwise it could impact results. How much impact I don't know. Worth a try?

Based on the GPU-z there seems to be a lot of time where the GPU isn't limiting. Where it is limiting, I think green is power, so you could relax the power limit and possibly allow it to boost a bit more.

Have you tried it the other way around, with gsync off and vsync on? Your overall scores are better but Min FPS didn't change much.

I have not tried that. I do know that with v-sync enabled it trys to lock my FPS to my screens refresh rate which is at 67hz right now. Ill give it a shot though.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah it just locks the fps at 67. The min FPS is for a split second at the start of the benchmark, it doesnt drop below 60-70 for most of it.

Yeah never need v-sync with a g-sync monitor. Score is around where it should be now.

Heaven is an old benchmark which wasn't even good for comparisons when was released, not to mention now on new hardware. Scores are affected by many things and I wouldn't really care about it as it's not showing your laptop's real power in games. If you want to compare results then use something new like superposition ( I'm not sure how it's acting but at least is new ) or 3DMarks/VRMarks.

Back