• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New RTX 2080 Build significantly under performing, What have I Done Wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Connection is pretty stable, all wired and haven had any issues in the past or with the previous PC
In saying that is Australian internet which is pretty pathetic compared to the rest of the world but it is a stable connection.

So CPU temp not an issue.
Not so sure why the figures came out so badly on the screenshot but the GFX Card usage was not 3% (at least i dont think it ever was), it typically hung around 50-60% while playing Tarkov, but hopefully this gives us something useful?
Note, CPU 1 is Temperature then Usage, same with the GPU
Also Note top right corner the slump in FPS, i often get this when looking at a fairly busy part of a map (there is also a fair bit of map and action going on behind this wall i am looking at)

Attachments

• Test 2.PNG
    Test 2.PNG
    988.7 KB · Views: 94
I am unable to see any of the pictures for an unknown reason so forgive me if this information is available.

Ryzen is really sensitive to memory which we know. What speed is you ram running at, yes you have bought at 3200 kit but is it running at that speed? I have had a fair few problems with ryzen and memory and having faster memory improves performance more than overclocking in my experience.

Is it just this game?

This game is probably the worst at the moment but i imagine its probably also the most demanding of my current games, but like i mention, friend who is running his GTX 1080 is out performing my FPS significantly, even more so in this game, at times he is getting double my frame rate but in games such as BFV and and COD he can be getting around 10%-20% more FPS.

Is there anything that stands out in those figures or does it all look normal? I thought that with such a poor frame rate it would show that either the CPU or the GPU was maxed out, but if im reading it correctly, GPU is at about 50% and the CPU less than 50%?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I am unable to see any of the pictures for an unknown reason so forgive me if this information is available.

Ryzen is really sensitive to memory which we know. What speed is you ram running at, yes you have bought at 3200 kit but is it running at that speed? I have had a fair few problems with ryzen and memory and having faster memory improves performance more than overclocking in my experience.

I was playing with heaven Benchmark last night and i think it said i was running at 3000, i can check this again later though.

Do you have the latest bios installed on your motherboard? The 3xx chipsets need an update to play well with the 2xxx Ryzens. Also check in bios to make sure the PCIe is running with full lanes.

Do you have the latest bios installed on your motherboard? The 3xx chipsets need an update to play well with the 2xxx Ryzens. Also check in bios to make sure the PCIe is running with full lanes.

To be honest i dont want to go near updating the BIOS, but if this is possibly something that needs to be done i can try.
I purchased the components late November, built the rig and spent a good day pissing around trying to figure out why i couldn't even get a boot, until calling the store and was told the CPU and MOBO i had purchased was not compatible until a BIOS update had been done. Only way to get this done was to ship back, pay for BIOS update and pay for shipping back, or happen to find someone i know with similar setup to do BIOS update for me (Queue AMD rant).
So... i would like to think the BIOS is at its most current or at least fairly current as i did get the ship to do it for me?

Check in windows, using GPUz... there is a button there to put a load on it to spin it up.

OFten, the BIOS is set to auto by default so that won't tell you much.

To be honest i dont want to go near updating the BIOS, but if this is possibly something that needs to be done i can try.
I purchased the components late November, built the rig and spent a good day pissing around trying to figure out why i couldn't even get a boot, until calling the store and was told the CPU and MOBO i had purchased was not compatible until a BIOS update had been done. Only way to get this done was to ship back, pay for BIOS update and pay for shipping back, or happen to find someone i know with similar setup to do BIOS update for me (Queue AMD rant).
So... i would like to think the BIOS is at its most current or at least fairly current as i did get the ship to do it for me?

Should be ok then. EarthDog are you recomending him to check his PCIe lanes using GPUz or something else? If possible that sounds like a great idea. Before November the last PC I built used AGP so I don't really know how to check these things. I just remember reading through my motherboard manual and seeing that certian configurations would restrict PCIe lanes, so I thought that could be a cause.

Back