• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Graphics Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Root5098

I'm hoping to upgrade to an nVidia GFX Card within 3 weeks or so.

Current GFX Card: Gainward HD 4870 512mb GS (Click for link)

Code:
CPU = Intel i7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd @ 4.00GHz
Motherboard = ASUS P6T SE
PCI-E / AGP = PCI-E
RAM = 3GB OCZ 1333MHz
PSU = 880W HiperPower
Current Video Card = Gainward HF 4870 GS 512mb

Code:
Budget: £270
Code:
Primary Use: Gaming

I would be running the latest games, such as: Battlefield Bad Company 2 | Modern Warfare 2 etc

I've been looking at the XFX GTX 285 Black Edition (click for link)
But I can't seem to find any benchmark tests that include both the 4870 512mb and the GTX 285 1gb.

Can anybody suggest a good GFX Card (better than the 285 I've linked to) or provide a benchmark of the 285 vs 4870 ?

Thanks

The 285 spanks the HD4870 (4870 generally competes with gtx 260 216), just know that. But since you asked for a review, I googled HD4870 vs GTX285 reviews and came up with a list, but more specifically this review that should confirm what I said.

Why not a 5850 for that price? It beats the 285 and has DX11, and uses less power!

Your other thread on this same subject wasnt giving you answers????????????????

Yea, sorry, I didn't know how to edit the title and thought it may put some people off from looking at it. And I've decided to wait atleast 8 months for 3D to be more in the market.

I thought the 5850s were in the £300+ region, my mistake. Though I'm interested in nVidia because of the 3D Vision.

I'm just wondering why is there such a difference between the clocks, processing cores, etc. Surely nvidia would be blown out the water / how do they compete?

You cant look at it like apples to apples when comparing their stream processors and clock speeds.

I dont know how much 5850's are in the UK. Thats for you to look up. I just know its cheaper than a new 285 here so it should be over there as well.

Back