• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New guy needs help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gnelson82

Registered
I just completed my second PC build. Im new to the forum, and fairly new to overclocking. I was hoping to get some kind replies from the veterans here with good advice.

I currently have my 4770K Haswell at a stable 4.5ghz (not delidded)
The lowest possible voltage I could use to keep this stable was 1.24375
My CPU cache ratio is also at 45X
My RAM is set to XMP profile after overclocking to the usual 9-10-9-27 1866
I had to uninstall the ASUS AI Suite 3 because it seems to keep over-riding my bios settings.

Once I uninstalled AI suite, I kept crashing when opening CPUZ. I realized that even though my digi load line was set to auto in the bios, AI suite kept it at the "extreme" setting.

I then took it off of auto in bios to level 5... better, but crashed.
It wouldnt stabilize until I set the LLC to level 6.
Is this ok? Is this dangerous? Thats my first question.

My second question is -
I am always at 4.5ghz. If its changing at idle, how do I see this? I dont want to redline my engine at a stop light ya know?

Third question-
If it is in fact staying at a static 4.5ghz, how do I make it drop during idle or low usage?
I tried disabling manual mode in the rog bios, and setting both the voltages to "adaptive" , but when I did, I couldnt even get the PC to post (couldnt even get to bios). Had to CMOS it, reset everything as listed above... but I dont know if my voltage is adapting or not.
Help :confused::confused::confused:

EDIT:

My build is -

"Umbrella Corp"
Corsair 350D
ROG Maximus Gene
H100i (sp120's) (push exhaust)
Vengeance Pro 1866 rated
af 140's in the front
ad 120 in the rear
SLI evga gtx 770 classified's 4gb's
ax860i psu
all red and white corsair sleeved cables
And of course... an umbrella corp logo with matching boot screen log in :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a so "veteran" that you may be asking for, but have overclocked in the past..

But I whomever asks first will most likely ask you what your crash "code" is, are you bsod'ing (and will give code, and saying it is memory dumping..), or just freezing, or? This will hopefully point you in the right direction if it is the ram, or cpu, or?

Make sure your not on powersave mode on windows or what ever your using as it sounds like your comp is freezing when a spike in the cpu usage.

Everyone has preference on different programs too, there are many posts on different features. - All CPU usage will show your current clock speed and will start with OS incase like I said before your spiking the cpu and crashing it.

I can not help much else as I have never used that board or cpu.

Gnelson82,

I can't answer your first question about LLC, as I haven't looked into it myself.

In order to check if the cpu is ramping up/down clockspeed, I use cpuz, but since that doesn't work for you, try CoreTemp.

The only way I've been able to get my 4670k to properly ramp up/down speeds is to use adaptive voltage with an extra bit of offset voltage as well as keeping all of the speedstep/EIST settings enabled.

For example, I have my 4670k @4.4ghz using a core voltage of 1.104v. I use adaptive voltage with an additional .090v of offset voltage. That way it fully loads at 4.4ghz with 1.2 volts and is stable in everything with good temps unless I use a stability program which throws the voltage up another .1v or more.

Gnelson82,

I can't answer your first question about LLC, as I haven't looked into it myself.

In order to check if the cpu is ramping up/down clockspeed, I use cpuz, but since that doesn't work for you, try CoreTemp.

The only way I've been able to get my 4670k to properly ramp up/down speeds is to use adaptive voltage with an extra bit of offset voltage as well as keeping all of the speedstep/EIST settings enabled.

For example, I have my 4670k @4.4ghz using a core voltage of 1.104v. I use adaptive voltage with an additional .090v of offset voltage. That way it fully loads at 4.4ghz with 1.2 volts and is stable in everything with good temps unless I use a stability program which throws the voltage up another .1v or more.

Interesting. Well the good news is, I figured out the idle issue. Noob mistake. My power plan in control panel was set to high performance, which doesnt allow the processor to throttle down. Now its running 800mhz idle, kicks up to 3500, then turbo's to 4500.

Do the asus auto rules do pretty well or do I really need to go in and change the offsets and such?

Is adaptive enabled by default?

Am I confused? Is adaptive not the same as my pc idling at 800mhz and using 4500 at load or is this something totally different?

I don't know about Asus auto rules (though my mobo is an Asus z87 plus), is that overclocking through Windows? I changed the offset through the bios, the only place I'd recommend overclocking.

I forget if it is enabled by default, just look in the bios.

Yea those aren't the same. You can have your pc idle at 800mhz and load at 4500mhz without the voltage changing at all if you are using manual settings. Adaptive voltage is the voltage changing when the clockspeed changes also.

I don't know about Asus auto rules (though my mobo is an Asus z87 plus), is that overclocking through Windows? I changed the offset through the bios, the only place I'd recommend overclocking.

I forget if it is enabled by default, just look in the bios.

Yea those aren't the same. You can have your pc idle at 800mhz and load at 4500mhz without the voltage changing at all if you are using manual settings. Adaptive voltage is the voltage changing when the clockspeed changes also.

I am too noob to know how offset voltage works. I have the basic idea, but I am not sure where it is in the bios or what the values should be :confused:

Back