• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New job at WISP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD Phreak

Just got a job at a WISP doing computer and network support. Who all here works for one, I know there are a few people. Id like to have an AIM or MSN chat sometime..... :)

i work at one, im at work right now :-D and dont give me none of that you should be workin not browsin forums stuff... :p

and i know ddruid smp does as well.

Last edited:
BTW, WISP stands for Wireless ISP or internet service provider for the really out of it ones. use various radio equipment to get communications between the customer's house and the antenna sites. Some use 2.4 ghz wifi, some 802.11a, some other unlicensed bands, and some licensed bands. im personally familiar with 2.4 ghz equipment, and we have customers a few miles out using off the shelf wifi stuff.

four4875 said:
i work at one, im at work right now :-D and dont give me none of that you should be workin not browsin forums stuff... :p

and i know ddruid smp does as well.

I believe TommyHolly (sp?) and Ashenfang do aswell.

Myself, I am kinda an all-around type, my title would be Administrator, but I do everything from design/layout work to physical installation, just what ever it takes..

Interesting. It seems as though everyone has to wear multiple hats at their job. I have a feeling I will be doing the same. Only time will tell.

i think i brought it upon myself the multiple hats, as im the one who will spend my free time reading on the technologies and methods and all, instead of spending time with a wife or workin on a house, car or motorcycle. i have the free time to devote to learnign what we're doing, and when you're the only one who knows what you're doin, you're the one stuck with doin it :p

Most WiSP's are 'smaller' operations, we are owned by an ILEC (telephone company), but there are only 2 of us to take care of the network. I have about 1000 customers total if you include DSL & Dialup, of those only about 100 are wireless.

Back