• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New watercooled rig inside(56k Warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
JFettig said:
oh, its actually that the coolant moves slower through the radiators giving it more time to cool, and it causes less restriction.

I supose I shoudl have explained that, asuming people knew what I was talking about:p

Jon
Prepare to duck.

RedViper said:
Okay then. Is there a benefit for hooking two rads up in series?
Sometimes, as always, run both ways and see which way yeilds best temps in your setup. Parallel rads increases overall system flowrate, ie, the flow to the WB will be a bit higher. In series, you are doubling the head loss of 1 rad so the flowrate will be lower. The resistance of 2 rads in parallel is actually LESS than ONE rad (of the same type of course).

clocker2 said:
Prepare to duck.
LOL, still feeling it from that pump thread? :drool:

O and those Dtek pumps look really cool, i think i would pick up 2 if they had 1/2 barbs. :D

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the great info guys. The parallel idea is a good one so I might give it a shot here in the next week seeing as I have a bunch of free time on my hands.(just quit my BB job) I hope you get your pump soon JFettig I promise you will LOVE it.
Well off to Frys to get more UV lights :bday:

nikhsub1 said:
Sometimes, as always, run both ways and see which way yeilds best temps in your setup. Parallel rads increases overall system flowrate, ie, the flow to the WB will be a bit higher. In series, you are doubling the head loss of 1 rad so the flowrate will be lower. The resistance of 2 rads in parallel is actually LESS than ONE rad (of the same type of course).

Understood, and thanks.

My system is made up of Swiftech, Rads, Water Blocks, and Pump. The restriction of the two rads and three blocks combined with 3/8" tubing is not a problem. I still get good flow rates. I put my rads in parallel because Swftech recommends it for better heat dissipation witch leads to better temps. I have also read reviews of the Swiftech setup which confirm the temp drops of a parallel configuration.

I like stryders setup. However he might gain even beter temps with a parallel setup though. But if he's satisfied with the way it is then hey, thats his right, right?

Liquid_Cooling_002b.jpg

Very nice as well jenkx. Push fittings on the blocks, if so, any problems with them? What are your temps, if I may ask?

RedViper said:
Very nice as well jenkx. Push fittings on the blocks, if so, any problems with them? What are your temps, if I may ask?

No problems at all with the quick connect push fittings. Never had a leak and never did a 24 hour leak test. There is a way to test for air tightness before water is added. If it passes the air test it will pass the water test.

Remember I'm cooling a very hot P4prescott chip. My CPU temps are 38c-41c idol and 45c-48c max depending on the time of day because the air is hot here in Southern California. Those are pretty good temps for 80mm rads cooling the CPU, NB, and GPU.

jenkx said:
My system is made up of Swiftech, Rads, Water Blocks, and Pump. The restriction of the two rads and three blocks combined with 3/8" tubing is not a problem. I still get good flow rates. I put my rads in parallel because Swftech recommends it for better heat dissipation witch leads to better temps. I have also read reviews of the Swiftech setup which confirm the temp drops of a parallel configuration.

I like stryders setup. However he might gain even beter temps with a parallel setup though. But if he's satisfied with the way it is then hey, thats his right, right?

Liquid_Cooling_002b.jpg

LOL right.

jenkx said:
No problems at all with the quick connect push fittings. Never had a leak and never did a 24 hour leak test. There is a way to test for air tightness before water is added. If it passes the air test it will pass the water test.

Remember I'm cooling a very hot P4prescott chip. My CPU temps are 38c-41c idol and 45c-48c max depending on the time of day because the air is hot here in Southern California. Those are pretty good temps for 80mm rads cooling the CPU, NB, and GPU.

:p So, another WC urban legend kicked square in the ***! As far as inserting the tubing in the block, do you just jab it in, or is there a sort of locking mechanism?

Nice temps, BTW. ;)

RedViper said:
:p So, another WC urban legend kicked square in the ***! As far as inserting the tubing in the block, do you just jab it in, or is there a sort of locking mechanism?

Nice temps, BTW. ;)

There is a locking mechanism. There are these plastic ends that go in the end of the tub to keep it from folding and caving. Then the tubs are inserted in the water block. It takes a lot of strength to get the tubing all the way into the block because the fit is so tight. But believe me, you had better get the tub all the way in or it might leak. Once the tub is in it can only be pulled out with the help of a special wrench looking tool Swiftech provides. There is some sort of lock that gets tighter the more you try to pull the tubing out with your bare hands. I'm very confident that the tubing is not going to come out of those blocks.

JFettig said:
oh, its actually that the coolant moves slower through the radiators giving it more time to cool, and it causes less restriction.

I supose I shoudl have explained that, asuming people knew what I was talking about:p

Jon

I know this is a few days old...but I can't believe no one even made an attempt to correct it.

To categorically say that a lower flow is better in a rad is wrong, it doesn't take time for the rad to cool the fluid.

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6385

Read that - but ignore Graystar, it will save you alot of time. It's long, but is a great thread that EVERY watercooler should read and take some time to understand the theory discussed.

kct2 said:
I know this is a few days old...but I can't believe no one even made an attempt to correct it.

To categorically say that a lower flow is better in a rad is wrong, it doesn't take time for the rad to cool the fluid.

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6385

Read that - but ignore Graystar, it will save you alot of time. It's long, but is a great thread that EVERY watercooler should read and take some time to understand the theory discussed.

lol hes making fun of everyone who says that because its been priven wrong 10000x over but no one wants to listen so hes just joking around :p

eXCeSS said:
lol hes making fun of everyone who says that because its been priven wrong 10000x over but no one wants to listen so hes just joking around :p

You sure? Doesn't read like a joke to me...

Back