• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Overcloker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xoligy

ok here are my specs as i was on a tight budget!: -

AMD Sempron 2500+ 1.75GHz (Socket A)
GeIL 512MB (2x256MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5
**B Grade** Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 VIA KT600 (Socket A)

the price comming to about 120quid does anyone know what i should be able to over clock it to? at the moment im only getting to about 1.87 the its fail safe kicks in and it resets to 1.75 but i think thats because i only have the heat sink that came with the processor can anyone help me?

oh i also have a 9550guru which i want to clock lol

Well let's see if we can start with some basic questions for you.. What do you have your vcore and vdimm set at? What is the vcore temp, idle and load? How did you get to 1.87, what settings?

mmm... i'll bring all the data tomorrow as in uni at the moment ;)

ok, ok i got some information for you lot now and ive overclocked it abit more but if i try anymore the board kicks fail safe kciks in and it just resets to 1.75 grr... Anyway ive got it from 1.75 to 1.83 to 1.92!!! According to a program that came with the motherboard called "EasyTune4" ive been changing the system bus and the highest it will go till it resets is 183 and thats from 166 multiplier but it just seems to never work, maybe im doing it wrong I don’t know! All I know is it says this in the manual… “the clock ratio can be swithed by CK_RATIO and refer to below table” which I do it’s set to auto but I try and change it… no luck! There is another switch called SW1 wchich has “on” and “auto” default setting is on (100mhz) this is under the SW1 table “100mhz: Fix fsb200mhx cpu” “Auto: support fsb 266/333/400mhz cpu” it’s set to auto ;)

Anyway here is the easytune control panel with 1/2 notes lol (very basic I know)

zystem.jpg

like i said before im using a...

b-grade Gigabyte GA-7vt600 (Duel Bios) motherboard I got it cheap 30quid
Geil 512 (2x256) PC3200
Sempron 2500 - 1.75ghz with supplied retail fan (i'll buy a better one soon I hope)

easy tune is ok for raising while in windows but if you go to far it will reset your comp like you said and go back to the original settings in the bios.

You should really be changing the settings in the bios and then save and exit. The reason it resets and goes back to default is because the overclock you tried is unstable and therfore will need to raise the vcore in the bios. keep an eye on your cpu temp as it looks a bit high at 46c especially if your not stress testing. If you stress test that will shoot up about 12c which is a bit to hot. Get some better cooling and monitor the temps with speedfan as that may be more accurate than easy tune.

you can get speedfan here.... http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

:welcome: to the forums and the world of overclocking

Like Snakeman300 said, you'll need to raise the vcore slightly if you want to keep the cpu stable at higher clock frequencies.

As for overclocking your vid. card, use ATI Tool:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=725

You can either set the clock speed manually and test it, or just select "Find Max Core" and "Find Max Mem." The program will then keep increasing the speeds until the card becomes unstable, whereby it will then drop the speed down to where it is stable.

Then run 3dMark01 or 3dMark03 to see the performance improvement :)

thanks snakeman300 and terminant!

ive been modifying it in the bios i just used easy tune to show the info lol i couldnt get to 1.93 with easy tune for some reason :/

i have got the system to 2ghz plus once but then it got unstable and reboot lol im going to buy a new cpu fan in about an hr any recomendations??? im getting it from overclockers.co.uk as its not far away

and i'll give that Ati tool ago thanks! oh and im using 3d mark 05 to benchmark :)

im going to buy a new cpu fan in about an hr any recomendations???

Yes - heatsink is vitally important, since once your cpu gets unstable, you need to increase vcore. But if you put vcore up too much, the cpu will be still be unstable, but this time because of the heat.

All these heatsinks listed below can be found at overclockers.co.uk. It really depends how much you want to spend.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=14&disc= This is quite a mid-range heatsink, yet it is much more effective than the stock solution. Good value for money.

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_product_si97.htm The best Socket A heatsink in the world - but it isn't cheap at around £25. Also, it doesn't come with a fan so you'll have to buy one separately.
If you do opt for this solution, the fan you'll buy will depend on how much noise you can tolerate. If you don't care about noise, go for a Delta or Vantec Tornado (all avaliable at overclockers.co.uk) or - if noise is a problem - go for a Vantec Stealth (at overclockers too.)

Oh, and make sure to get some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. The stock stuff that comes with most heatsinks is crap. You can lower your temps by about 5C by getting some AS5: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Thermal_Materials_27.html

Hope this helps :)

cool thanks i'll have a look in fact i just posted in the collers section about 3 gigabyte fans on this page the top 3 what you think...

They look alright, but personally I think that AMD/Intel heatsinks are less effective than purely AMD or purely Intel-designed heatsinks, because they are better designed to absorb heat from a particular chipset.

ok cheers i'll have a look at that heat sink youve recommended and a fan ;) thanks for all the help mate!

No problem :cool: Just tell us all how it works out once you get your heatsink.

Whatever heatsink you go for though, remember to get some Arctic Silver 5 as well

ok will do mate! do i just apply it once or every few months?

sorry for keep bothering you mate i hope to return the favour one day lol

ok will do mate! do i just apply it once or every few months?

You can re-apply it every few months (every 6-8 months, I believe) but I prefer to just leave it on there.

Once you've applied it, the paste will begin heating and cooling as the computer is turned on and off. After about 100 hours of use, it'll reach optimum condition - and your temps should go down by another 2C.

Over time I think the paste can slowly boil away, so people do re-apply it, but its purely a matter of choice :)

sorry for keep bothering you mate i hope to return the favour one day lol

Don't worry - that's what ocforums is for, to help people who want to know about overclocking :cool: It's our pleasure to help :)

So, which heatsink are you going for?

err.... that one! lol the one you said 25quid, then the paste and a fan looks like the best option!

btw do you know how come i canna get my multiplyer to change? i set it but it never changes lol

err.... that one! lol the one you said 25quid, then the paste and a fan looks like the best option!

Cool :) Just remember to get a 92mm fan for it, there are plenty on overclockers.co.uk, depending on which you value more - cooling or quiet.

btw do you know how come i canna get my multiplyer to change? i set it but it never changes lol

Most of the newer Athlon XPs are "locked," which means the multiplier cannot be changed. The older ones were "unlocked," allowing the multiplier to be altered.

As for Semprons... I'm afraid I'm not sure. I've never used one, but it seems a bit strange they'd be locked this early into production. If you can't change the multiplier from the bios, then its evidently locked, anyhow.
In that case you've got to focus on pushing the FSB as far as it'll go :cool:

You could also try "burning-in" your cpu later, if you want. Depends whether you find it useful.

burning in??? sounds interesting lol

i'll have a word with the poeple at overclockers and see if they know ;) thanks for the help again mate its been really helpful!

as for now im off to spend cash! :D

"Burning-in" - this is where you run a stress-test program (like Prime95, free download) for several hours. If the cpu was initially unstable at a certain voltage, it may become stable later.

E.g. I want to reach 2.2Ghz with my cpu, but it's not stable at 1.675 Volts. If I put it up to 1.7V it's stable, but it crashes because of the extra heat.

So I run my 2.2Ghz cpu at 1.675V for several hours - while it's initially unstable, after lots of stress-testing the transistors eventually adapt to a certain voltage and it becomes more stable.

Some scoff at the idea, while others swear by it. I've personally found it really helpful, but others don't like it at all. Here's a thread on it:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=382751

Hope this has all been helpful :)

ok, ok i have found out the mutiplyer is locked :( so i'll have to save and buy another new processor! hey! canna wait lol

anyway i've got my computer running at 1.93ghz at the moment with a bus of 183 i think im not sure i'll post the details tomorrow lol

anyway ive been burning in the processor as i know it can go faster ive had over 2ghz twice but i dont know how! grr.. soon as i reach the 2ghz stage without it rebooting i'll be happy lol ok i wount but i'll be happier lol at the moment temps are good at about 40c i just gotta figure out why it keeps resetting back to 1.75ghz!

well im out of time on the computers so i'll post my guru and processor things tomorrow ;)

Back