• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie question about presler and cedar mill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omniskillz

presler is dual and cedar mill is single cpu? correct?

same chips? same cache? same process?

so if im using the computer to only watch movies, play games and , surf the web? the cedar mill would be best?

i hear ppl saying cedar mill clock much better and more than a presler...

but i saw ross with the 930 say he can get 4ghz stable on air with presler...

sooo i mean if u had a choice between a 4ghz presler or a cedar mill that had the possibility of hitting 5ghz on air? which would be the better gaming system? would the maximum possibility of 1ghz difference be better for gaming vs the dual core at a decent 4ghz?

also do u think i will see a drastic improvement from my current CPU which is in my sig???

thanks.

Im gonna put down some points here because now that we know what retail chips will be like there are several things that need to be put to rest:

5ghz will *not* be possible on either Cedar Mill or Presler without atleast high end water cooling. Even with that there will still be atleast a (IMHO) +70% failure rate meeting 5ghz on anything under a 940/661

Presler and Cedar Mill are effectively the same thing. The difference is that Presler has 2 CM cores put onto 1 PCB, thats it.

Games will be programed for dual-cores starting with the next Unreal series (and many games are patched for SMP today) So dual-cores as a whole will eventually be the things to buy.

As for what you currentally have, just about anything on the market is better than that by a significant margin.

Finally theoritcally a 5ghz Cedar Mill would be alot better in benchmarks however the odds of you getting that, especially on air are heavily against you.

Back