• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got another switch coming, seems to be a lot of networking gear lately. In fact counting up I've had 4 wireless routers and 3 switches over the last 10 months or so. The email for this invite made it clear that I could keep the item following review.

I had two review requests yesterday and had to decline both. Both were network devices. I know next to nothing about networking and have one computer with no other WiFi devices.

Hopefully they start to offer products that I actually can test.

How exactly do you test a switch anyway? Plug something into all of its ports and see if internet bandwith is divided equally between all devices? Lol

Pretty much, this one is a smart switch so you can limit or boost bandwidth according to the attached devices' requirements. I also look at robustness, any power saving features and also the wall wart if there is one, one of my bugbears is wall warts that occupy more than their fair share of socket space.

Got roped into this program a week ago....seems like they have a lot of people on the program. Have two routers incoming to play with :) I asked them to send me NDA stuff rather ;) j/k

Haven't gotten any emails lately... but it works out pretty well since I'm in the middle of renovating rebuilding my house and don't really have time for testing things anyway... let alone my computer is in storage and I'm just stuck with my lappy.

got my powerline ethernet adapter
I'll see how good this thing works compared to wi-fi g

My experience with those is that they work, but not well. Depends a lot on location and the kind of wiring you have in your house.

Invite only.

Re Powerline, my house was wired in the 70's but the part of the house in which I wanted the powerlines to work is on a separate circuit to the part of the house where the router is so the signals were going through the breaker box and a crapload feet of wiring too, so although they worked the signal throughput was about the same as wifi. Mine were also affected by loads being switched on the mains, compressor on the freezer, AC switching on, so I just ran a cable under the floor.

same here, except the house was wired in the 50's
its only getting about 8mbps (transmitting 90mbps from the fios box) because it has to pass through 2 electric meters

Now a wireless range extender!

Do they not read my replies or is this an automated system? I'd like to be able to review a product. I didn't sign up to repeatedly tell them no.

I just take everything they offer that I can easily test, the only things I think I didn't accept was a huge switch, 24 port 10/100M IIRC, and a mystery netgear item that they stipulated I had to have certain hardware for, which I didn't. Yeah I'm a hardware easy lay.

Well, it isn't automated. I sent them an e-mail with this last decline practically begging for a reply and an explanation. I got a reply today. They apologized, thanked me for declining items I am not able to test, and promised to note my account about the network device issue.

Hopefully I'll receive an invitation for something that I can test soon.

Back