• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NewEgg's ripoff pricing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Meathead said:
Newegg has been sponsoring my team and a couple other cs:s teams with $ to travel and compete at LAN tournaments. Maybe that is hurting them a bit.

So you're the reason why shipping prices have gone up and let UPS in the door too. :bang head :bang head

OK, not really. :santa: I imagine that if they were noticing the paltry little bit of money they are spending for that, your money source would dry up quick.

Back to the topic here, Newegg has had some ripoff pricing on Thermalright products (and a lot of other cooling products they sell) for well over a year. Nowdays, I don't even look in the egg's hsf area as I know just about everything worthwhile there will be at a ripoff price. To me, it doesn't seem like good business sense to try to **** your customers like that but I'm not the person that is making the money, Newegg is.

Maybe someone who is really ticked off about this, (like you g0dM@n) go post up a reveiw at resellerratings about this practice. At least it will get the egg's attention as they have someone who reads anything posted about them at RR.

Tis the season also. Internet sales go up a lot this time of year, and like many potential buyers, most have no clue about svc or zipzoomfly and mostly just know about the most advertised like tigerdirect and newegg.

g0dM@n said:
Right on the f-ing money! That is what I'm talkin' about.

What do you guys think we are in this thread for? You're probably in this thread because you are, or better yet, you WERE a loyal customer of NewEgg.

Yep, I find myself getting upset with the 'egg more and more lately. Their website is sloooooooow, and are very slow to process orders and get them shipped, at least in my experience, and with either UPS or Fedex.

I tell ya what, if ZipZoomFly had Newegg's search capability, they would be the ONLY place I would use. Never had any issues whatsoever with ZZF.

As for the pricing, I remember about 3 months ago, I was searching for an XP-90C, and Newegg was definitely TOP dollar... using froogle. Very strange, because on almost everything else, Newegg is VERY competitive. I think it might have something to do with Newegg's contracts with certain manufacturers. I had a buddy who sold car audio stuff, and could get you most brands for cheap, but when it came to something like JL audio, you were paying very premium.

For things like fans and heatsinks, I've learned to just shop elsewhere... I'd like to know the real reason why the egg is much higher than the smaller e-stores (jab-tech, sidewinder, etc.)

PS, I got my XP-90C from jab-tech... very pleasant to do business with, FWIW.

When I think about buying parts I usually check newegg first because their generaly large avalibility of parts.

But if its sold out I'll go to another retailer,unless they have a smoking hot deal- then I'll wait.

Although I do a ton of business with NE, I still use Pricewatch for just about everything I order now days...combined with resellerratings, I go with the most for my money. Much as I hate to say it, I'm feeling a change for the worst at NE, and I don't particularly like it. I think it could be the fact that they've mostly been the #1 online site for a while is probably going to their heads.

I too used to never shop around. I have used newegg for the 95 computers that I have built in the last 5 years. (I do it on the side for computer, home theater and stereo money) I was about to order an OCZ Powerstream 520 watt power supply. The thing has gone from $119 to $149. That is a big jump. I am really disappointed.

tom10167 said:
Zzzzzip

Zeewwwwm

Flyyyyyy

:attn: Long live the FLY with its ****2nd DAY Free!

If I can go to the ZZF over egg I will.... but I don't really care for the egg's price fluxation this past month. I Froogle and P-grabb every item I scout.

Bashing Newegg a bit too much during holiday season. lol.
Everybody's buying all kinds of crap right now. Hell, i bought my self some new parts too.
The next day all the prices go up. Guess everyone wants the same parts i do.
Nothing wrong with prices going up cuz everyone else is buying them. Neweggs still a company. Cant have them spoonfeed everyone with low prices everday. Hell we should be happy we got these etailors. the damn compusa near me charges a F@*#&$*!&$) load for one part. so yeah, its all good with me. Neweggs been good to me soo far so i trust them and i guess that makes me spend a little more greenies for a few parts.

Just buy it from some other store. Jab-tech.com would be a good place to start for Thermalright products.

I find myself doing a little more shopping at ZZF and a little less at the egg. I too used to be just about 100% newegg on new items. Times change and newegg is making the decisions it likes and we can vote on those decisions with our dollars. Though we would like our old favorite to not change and thus get mad, we must also realize that this opens the doors for other e-tailers and or upstarts. We need to get the word out to our members of sites offering what we desire.

Newegg Senior Supervisor Info

I spoke with Jason Salinas the other day guys (hes a senior supervisor with the egg) and he asked if there were many people with comments, questions, or concerns of the egg. He said he should be back on the forums soon to provide support here, until then you can email concerns to him at: [email protected]

His sn here at ocf is Newegg Support.

Thanks,
Nathan

Back