• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[News] OCZ bringing out new / affordable SSDs, yet again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiggity

OCZ brings a new low to SSD pricing

NAND flash manufacturers have been promising lower prices for solid state drives (SSDs) for quite some time now. We've only just recently seen some serious price erosion on modern, SATA-II flash drives.

Super Talent turned quite a few heads when it announced its MasterDrive MX series of SSDs in early May. The 30GB, 60GB, and 128GB drives have an MSRP of $299, $449, and $649 respectively (although online retailers like Newegg currently stock the drives for a bit less money). The MLC-based drives feature a rather impressive read speed of 120MB/sec, but the write speeds lag far behind at just 40MB/sec.

OCZ is looking to trump Super Talent push down-market with faster SSDs at even lower price points. The company today announced its new Core Series 2.5" SSDs which are the most affordable, large-capacity SSDs that we've seen to date. The 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB models are priced at $169, $259, and $479 respectively -- the drives also feature a two-year warranty.

And unlike the Super Talent MX SSDs, these new Core series doesn't give up much in terms of speed to its more expensive rivals. OCZ is projecting read speeds of 120 to 143 MB/sec and write speeds of 80 to 93 MB/sec. All Core Series SSDs feature a mean time before failure (MTBF) of 1.5 million hours.

"SSDs offer higher performance, reliability, and energy efficiency than conventional HDDs but the cost variance has limited adoption of vastly superior SSD technology, until now," said OCZ Technology CEO Ryan Petersen. "It is our mission to deliver the highest performance products to consumers at reasonable prices, and with the release of the Core Series SSDs we have done exactly that."

OCZ did not specify an exact launch date for the new drives, but given that pricing has already been announced, the drives will likely hit the market very shortly.
2 32GB SSD's in raid 0 for only ~300, sounds sweet to me (Velociraptor is going to get owned soon if prices keep coming down like this and speeds keep going up at the rate they are, Western Digital, make some SSDs pls). These have come down in cost enough where I would *easily* consider one for a laptop or my desktop.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=12248

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but the drives are too large. The 32GB version is really overkill for an OS drive, but too small to do much else with. Give me a 16GB drive for $90, so I can throw a pair in RAID 0 for the OS. Or, even better, give me an 8GB drive for $50 so I can put 4 in Raid 0 for the OS and then I'll use a Velicoraptor for everything else

I suppose something might be said for the 128GB drive, but at about $500, I can almost grab a pair of Velicoraptors...

I think at this point it's less of an importance in that they are here, but more important in the fact that the prices -are- going down at a rather significant rate. I mean, honestly, is it worth 200$ now even to be able to boot unbelievably fast? I went through this train of thought last night, and ended up figuring out and that instead of spending a few hundred on some velocitraptors, I could spend 40$ to get a 250 gig drive, which I need maybe half of, and deal with a few seconds longer game load time. And since I never turn off my computer, boot time doesn't really matter to me.

This doesn't change the fact that I could see when I replace my hard drive in a year or two, replacing it with a much more reasonably priced SSD.

Where are you getting 250GB drives for $40? I know a couple of people who would jump on that kind of price.

Where are you getting 250GB drives for $40? I know a couple of people who would jump on that kind of price.
That is what I quoted him for one of my drives ;)

Ninth and I have the same train of thought though. Although, these do tend to push the train off the tracks :-/

I like this. Only reason I would buy a Raptor is for fast OS HDD, not because I use it for its space. If I want fast HDDs, I'm definitely getting SSD's now :D

Yeah I'd be content with a ~60GB version. I think 32 would be pushing it but livable, a little overhead is always nice.

Questions:

1.) Why does everyone seem so RAID 0 happy with these? With regular drives it seems like SOME of OCF is using RAID 0 whereas with SSD you can't seem to make it 2 posts without someone mentioning Raid 0. Are the benefits that huge? I'd think one would be fast enough. I'm asking because I kind of want one of these things.

2.) What's the story with insalling one of these in to a PC? I'm considering buying one.

Yeah I'd be content with a ~60GB version. I think 32 would be pushing it but livable, a little overhead is always nice.

Questions:

1.) Why does everyone seem so RAID 0 happy with these? With regular drives it seems like SOME of OCF is using RAID 0 whereas with SSD you can't seem to make it 2 posts without someone mentioning Raid 0. Are the benefits that huge? I'd think one would be fast enough. I'm asking because I kind of want one of these things.

2.) What's the story with insalling one of these in to a PC? I'm considering buying one.

Because with SSDs, or at least past ones since it's getting to be less of an issue, the write performance was much lower than the read performance and RAID0 takes care of that. The other reason was that scaling $/GB was basically flat meaning that you'd spend X dollars for a given capacity whether it's one drive or multiple ones.

Those arguments are going away over time though, write times are improving and the scaling on these particular drives actually makes the larger ones cheaper per GB.

Questions:

RAID 0 is huge with SSD's....especially on a dedicated card. Check out Dominick32's review here - http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/mtron16/

Only problem with installing these drives into a case is finding a suitable HDD cage, as they are all 2.5" drives.

Are SSD's always going to be 2.5" and 1.8"? Is there any on the market that are 3.5"?

Once SSD's become really popular computer cases will start giving us custom cages for them etc.

+1 to what lilbuddy said

I also expect SuperTalent to counter this with even lower priced SSD's. Intel will also be jumping into the SSD market by the end of this year (probably). Seagate and Western Digital are working on Enterprise SSD's which will be redic expensive and not for home use.

Western Digital also promised a 15k-20k RPM raptor that would be affordable, not sure if that is ever going to happen.

Last edited:
With the prices falling so fast, I hope I can get one for my laptop in 3-6 months.

Back