• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nforce2 to buy (Chaintech)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tragic_monkey

After deep consideration, looking through all the current nforce2 motherboards and the on the horizon i have made my mind up (i think!!). When it comes out in the UK i will get the Chaintech 7NJS Zenith, because it has raid, pci lock, great volt adjustments. The only 2 things it lacks in are no multiplier adjustment and only 200MHz FSB, however Chaintech have said they hope to reease a BIOS with a multiplier adjustment and higher FSB, what i want to know is wether or not i can trust Chaintech to come up with this BIOS or not, or shall i go for ASUS or EPOX. I will be running it on:

AMD XP1600+ (AGOIA Y0213)
2x256MB 2700 (windbond BH-6, not sure which brand i will get yet)
and i currently have a 80GB WD Special Edition, however i want to get another one and put it into raid 0 config.

Im only getting PC2700DDR because if i can raise the FSB i can slow down the memory with the % adjustment and i will still get very good performance as it will be in Dual DDR mode. Correct me if im wrong on this please.

No multi adjustments=bad.

That enought should make you wanna reconsider. All nForce2's have PCI and AGP locks and 200 FSB should be no issue with any nForce2. For it to max out at 200 is pretty weak. RAID will be a feature with EVERY manufacurer and so will vmods for the most part. Dont bother with chaintech.

As for the dualband PC2700, you're on the right track.

--Illah

--Illah

not all boards have pci lock epox dont, and very few have raid and the other board im considering the ASUS has very poor volt adjustments. Does anybody know what volt adjustment the abit has?

I also like the Chaintech because it comes with loads of cool stuff:D

Last edited:
I'm eyeing the Leadtek myself, but the lack of multiplier adjustments is just illogical. Even ancient boards come with jumpers/dip switches to play with.
Any way to adjust multipliers with this Leadtek boards? Will a bios update bring in them multis?

seems the first offerings of the Nforce2 from every motherboard maker has some huge flaws in it. lack of voltages, low FSBs. lacking raid for current IDE hard drives, lacking 4 hole mounting for watercooling and vapor cooling guys...

to me, theres not one "full" featured Nforce yet.
seems it would be best to let the first gen fall to flames so MB makers realize we want more features, and less gimmicks.

kunnaak... well said...

but think about it...

if a mobo maker produce a NForce mobo that got
  • 4 holes near the socket
  • multiplier adjustment via bios
  • voltage adjustment via bios up to Vcore 2.3 (for Vdmm i dunno what DDRII vol is @... i thought it is at 1.5 or 1.8)
  • Serial ATA Raid support
  • AGP Lock
  • PCI Lock
  • Support AGP 1x ~ 8x
  • Support System bus up to 250mhz or higher

Are you reading this Asus, Abit and Epox Tech? If you make them, we will buy them. I don't think we are asking too much are we?

Also I wouldn't place my $ on a future promise upgrade/feature.

Well the Chaintech NForce 2 has the four holes to mount a big HSF. It has 8 voltage adjustments, SATA raid. Wish now I would've waited to buy a mobo.

hmm the chaintech would be the board to buy thanks to the new update, but ive heard some bad things about running raid off one ide cable 1master 1slave so i may aswell get the epox board and buy a raid card as long as the pci lock is fixed, be cheaper as well, what dos everybody else think?

tragic_monkey said:
hmm the chaintech would be the board to buy thanks to the new update, but ive heard some bad things about running raid off one ide cable 1master 1slave so i may aswell get the epox board and buy a raid card as long as the pci lock is fixed, be cheaper as well, what dos everybody else think?

Why in the world would you want to run raid and 2 drives off the same cable and same channel?

Chaintech NForce 2 with that multiplier bios definately rocks... but I cant use that mobo... it got a amr/cnr at the last slot, if I need to use firewire card included, I need to move my water pump out side my case!!!!!

tragic_monkey said:

my point exactly the chaintech only has one raid channel

That's impossible. You CAN'T have raid on one channel. Every knows Raid won't work right on one channel. I find that hard to believe.

That would be my guess, I'd say it's probably a 3 channel raid and you just turn the raid off on whatever channel you don't want it on (ie cd drives)

Comes with Vcore up to 2.15, rounded cables, optilink & cables, digidoc, mcp-t, 2 lan, vdimm to 3.2v, agp 2v adj, if the price is right I could forgive the single raid channel & add another raid card, the asus needs one added also.

I have read somewhere that the second ide for the RAID is the sata connector. but i could have read that wrong.

I have just ordered one of these and cannot wait to get it.

-Rich

Back