• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nintendo launches Firmware v 3.3, renders Twilight Hack and Freeloader useless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/06/17/new-wii-update-spells-the-end-for-freeloader/

If you're in a PAL region and enjoy playing the games us NTSC gamers enjoy, don't bother updating.

Also, the 3.3 firmware renders the Twilight Hack, used to run homebrew applications, completely useless.

If you're a homebrew user or in a PAL region and use a Freeloader, don't bother with this for a bit. AFAIK, it only adds some Mii functionality (although no ears yet).

Still waiting for that in-game voice chat and USB HD support, Nintendo.

woot! Here is an update. Adds nothing but an attack against homebrew. Btw we will never release any worthwhile updates :D

but you've got 5 new clothing options for your Mii and the Wiifit can now support John Goodman's weight..... well actually no you don't..... and it can't.... What was the point of this update again? Oh yeah to make your Wii do the glowy blue thing and then laugh at you as try to play your homebrew version of Doom with wii-mote support...... I'll have to check but I wonder if there is a reset pinhole button you can use for the Wii to go back to factory defaults like a router? If not, I'm sure somebody can figure out how to upgrade and downgrade firmware via the SD card.

I could understand this a little better if they had decided to implement a check for games on DVD+R, why are these firms apparently more worried about homebrew than piracy?

Oh yeah to make your Wii do the glowy blue thing and then laugh at you as try to play your homebrew version of Doom with wii-mote support.

For me I was just about to go to bed and it started glowing and kept me up...after turning it on and off again hoping it would stop, it didn't so I had to run the stupid update to be told I now can do blah blah and blah in Mii plaza as if I ever use it. Yeah great update, I've been debating selling the thing and that was almost enough motivation.

So btw is there anything in the foreseeable future that might be good coming out for it? The only game I;ve played in the last two weeks has been Burnout Revenge on my Xbox1....and that game still looks better than anything the Wii's put out so far.

For me I was just about to go to bed and it started glowing and kept me up...after turning it on and off again hoping it would stop, it didn't so I had to run the stupid update to be told I now can do blah blah and blah in Mii plaza as if I ever use it. Yeah great update, I've been debating selling the thing and that was almost enough motivation.

So btw is there anything in the foreseeable future that might be good coming out for it? The only game I;ve played in the last two weeks has been Burnout Revenge on my Xbox1....and that game still looks better than anything the Wii's put out so far.

Force Unleashed will give you Wiisaber at the expense of graphics :shrug:

AFAIK The only working Wii linux distro isn't much more than the basic kernel running as a proof of concept. Some of the other firmware is promising though, the Mplayer based WiiMiidia media center is looking good and there are the usual set of emulators.

It will also be the only home console which is capable of online play, and one of only 3 versions of the game that will have online play (the others being the DS and PSP)

online on the psp and ds will probably be better. ;)

Yeah umm saying a Wii game has online play is about as enticing as saying it comes in a white case.

In responce to Rainless comments on "Not gonna happen....what they turned hip overnight" paraphrased of course. Since when does Nintendo need to go through the effort of working on anything to change the Wii.....it still sells number 1 every month. Thats the problem.....there's no motivation to make anything improvements because it's selling just fine as a cute, white dust collector.

Yeah umm saying a Wii game has online play is about as enticing as saying it comes in a white case.

In responce to Rainless comments on "Not gonna happen....what they turned hip overnight" paraphrased of course. Since when does Nintendo need to go through the effort of working on anything to change the Wii.....it still sells number 1 every month. Thats the problem.....there's no motivation to make anything improvements because it's selling just fine as a cute, white dust collector.

Nintendo's own CUSTOMERS are the problem. I've said that since before the Wii even came out. Nintendo has no reason to change because Nintendo's own customers don't demand anything from them. Microsoft does something wrong... Sony does something wrong... the clientele goes ballistic.

Nintendo has an entire history of stupid, bone-headed moves and the Nintendo Nuts just fall in line. I've said it before: They have a Disney-like hold. They're counting on the firm downpayment they put on people's childhood innocence.

It even works on me sometimes: I only eat at McDonald's at all because they got me hooked as a kid. But there's a big difference between a 99 cent double cheeseburger once a month and a $250 video game system.

Just because Nintendo's making money doesn't mean they're succeeding. They're failing in every other way that counts. They aren't pushing the boundaries of video game interaction like everyone hoped they would. They aren't releasing exciting, innovative titles. They people buying their systems aren't gamers so the ratio of games per system sold is completely screwed. And they've earned the respect of only the lowliest of the third parties.

People who own the Wii and any other system will be three times more hesitant to buy Nintendo's next console. Third parties will probably avoid their next console altogether. And they will eventually only exist as a novelty company as opposed to an impact player and innovator in the video game business.

Not to throw petrol on the flames, but the only measure of success that matters is how much money they make.
The ratio of games sold is 3 per console for the Wii and 4 for the 360 and PS3.

Most people who own the Wii are very happy with it, which is why its so often sold out and there are so few making there way onto fleabay and the like.

They may not be U83R L33T's like you, they may even be N008'S, but they want the latest Hannah Montana dance game and will buy the Wii2 for it.

Not to throw petrol on the flames, but the only measure of success that matters is how much money they make.
The ratio of games sold is 3 per console for the Wii and 4 for the 360 and PS3.

Most people who own the Wii are very happy with it, which is why its so often sold out and there are so few making there way onto fleabay and the like.

They may not be U83R L33T's like you, they may even be N008'S, but they want the latest Hannah Montana dance game and will buy the Wii2 for it.

Actually you're wrong: Microsoft's attach rate is SEVEN not four (here's an older source http://news.filefront.com/xbox-360-sells-more-games-per-system-wii-and-ps3-similar/) PS3's software attach rate is around 5 now. And they've sold FAR fewer systems.

The numbers don't lie: People that are buying the Wii are only buying it because it was so hard to get. They get the game or two they wanted the system for in the first place and never buy another one. Both Microsoft and Sony's attach rate has gone UP... Nintendo's has gone DOWN. (They were near 4 now they're just below 3).

And the name of the game is a long-term strategy... they don't have one: The Wii2 is going to be a tough sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back