• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No more Socket M2!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What do you mean,
Socket A DDR I 400 = dual 200 FSB
Socket (A)M2 = DDR II 667 = dual 333

What I want to know is what speed is the 4200+ X2 going to be set at, I mean what does " Athlon 64 X2 3800+ will be replaced with a equally priced and similary clocked 4200+." mean? 2.0 GHz? 2.167 GHz?

i hope they will be 65nm too. it would make me re consider jumping on AM2 quicker.. but iirc, AMD dont have the money to afford 65nm fab process? Time will tell i guess

Careface*

c627627 said:
What I want to know is what speed is the 4200+ X2 going to be set at, I mean what does " Athlon 64 X2 3800+ will be replaced with a equally priced and similary clocked 4200+." mean? 2.0 GHz? 2.167 GHz?

I've been reading quite a few articles over the past day or two, and from what I understand, the clock speed of an AM2 X2 4200+ will be the same as that of a S939 X2 4200+. Price-wise, your guess is as good as mine... but if AMD are serious about switching people to a new socket, I'd hope they'd be a bit cheaper than their 939 equivalents :). Perhaps this is just wishful thinking!

Binny.

No more Socket M2!
All I could think of when I read the title was some terrible thing happening... I was like "How could they just junk a new socket?" And then I actually read you post :D.

I became attached to the name M2 (probably because it reminds me of BMW M3) but I still like the new name. And I'm looking forward to seeing how this thing turns out. 4600+ X2 (on the AM2) here I come ;)

Last edited:
Binman_UK said:
I've been reading quite a few articles over the past day or two, and from what I understand, the clock speed of an AM2 X2 4200+ will be the same as that of a S939 X2 4200+. Price-wise, your guess is as good as mine... but if AMD are serious about switching people to a new socket, I'd hope they'd be a bit cheaper than their 939 equivalents :). Perhaps this is just wishful thinking!

Binny.

I think you are wishful thinking. Motherboard manufacturers will make whatever they need to for the processor to fit. New motherboards will stop coming in s939 and s754 varieties leaving you with one choice. So why would they feel the need to lower the price to get you to switch when you have no choice if you want a new processor?

the name AM2 reminds me of the great programming team that developed the virtua fighter series for the sega saturn - a superb polygon fighter for the era.

65nm M2.... AM2..... whatever. :bang head call me when it's done is all. :D

Something I just noticed, that I find very interesting. & you may too, maybe not. :shrug:

I run an A64, ok, fine.

Upon BOOT, up in the corner, it says 128 bit next to the CPU.

Is, Are, the 65nm M2's (AM2) going to be 256 bit???????

Ohh.... wouldn't that be sweet. :cool: :santa:

Weren't the XP's 64 bit? now A64's 128 bit... then M2... ?

This I would like to see.

:attn:

Know Nuttin said:
I thought the 128bit referred to the memory bus (dual 64 bit) when in dual channel?

Yes you are correct!

If you want proof, just take out one of your stick out of the DIMM and watch it change to 64bit.

Back