• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non-gamer $400-600 budget build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pax_vobiscum

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I'm hoping to build a fast, quiet and stable pc for my girlfriend. My girlfriend is a novice photographer. She currently owns a 2 year old Dell. The "thing" is so bog-down with background applications that it reminds me of a ps1. When ever I try to use her pc to surf the web, I end up walking away frustated and using my iphone instead. So, it's very important that I build a pc capable of handling Norton Virus and the 50 or so background applications she is bound to install.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $400-600 (Before or after rebates). The cheaper the better, if possible.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Editing raw images, photoshop, converting dvds to iphone format and surfing the internet.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers.

SOFTWARE REQUIRED: Windows 7

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com or what ever site has the best price.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I prefer intel. I am open to amd, if there is a convincing argument. I would also like to use a microATX case, if possible.

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

Here are some items I'm considering

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

Antec Mini P180 Black Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129041

I would really appreciate any advice and feedback.

Thanks in advance.

You will likely need an AMD rig for that budget + windows + a case...

Phenom II X4 925 = $141
4GB DDR2 800 Ram (Patriot Extreme Performance) = $87
MSI 785GTM-E45 Mobo = $70 + SH
Antec Mini case = $70
Corsair 400CX PSU = $50 + SH - $10 MIR
500GB WD Caviar Black = $70
W7 Home Premijm 64 bit OEM = $105

= $595 + SH - $10 MIR.

You really would want a quad core for her needs.

Last edited:
An i5 build might be possible for under $600 if you have a Fry's or Microcenter near you, as they sometimes have the i5 + mobo for around $200. If you really want to keep the cost down you might want to look at the Athlon II x4 cpu for around $99. Keep in mind that the newer versions of Photoshop now take advantage of video card acceleration for certain tasks. You might notice a performance boost stepping up from integrated graphics to something like an ATI 4650 for about $50. Depending on your needs, an Athlon II x4 + ATI 4650 might be a better option than the Phenom II for the same price, or you may not notice much of a difference if any just going with the Athlon II. Just do a bit of research before you buy.

Sounds like a good situation for a Dell. Their cheaper stuff is hard to beat when you take the Windows tax into account. Sometimes you can snag a quad core with plenty of RAM and HD space with a 20" monitor for under $600 even.

I really appreciate the advice guys. Thanks a lot.

I like the AMD build, EarthDog. I will most likely order the parts at the end of this week. I'll consider increasing the budget until then, in order to build an intel quad rig instead. I just wish I took advantage of the blackfriday sales. Oh well! Lesson learned. :bang head

Back