• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

not getting 1080 size desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amnios

I just bought the Samsung PN58C7000 Plasma 3DTV.

Have it currently hooked up via an HDMI port and not the standard PC port.

Any idea why my viewable desktop is not 1920 x 1080 and instead I have to set it to about 1824 x 1026 in order to see the whole 1920 x 1080 desktop?

Resizing it through the NVidia COntrol Panel.

When I run games in FUll Screen at 1920 x 1080 I can tell that I am losing some of the screen.

Is it because I am using HDMI and not the PC port?

ANy ideas?

Also would appreciate if you could tell me why the tv runs my desktop at 1920 x 1080p x 60hz but when I run crysis full screen it switches automatically to 24hz and I see the message telling me that coming right on the screen in the top left?

I'm really confused. I don't see how this tv should not act just like a regular monitor and give me my full desktop viewable area and stop auto changing refresh rates.

I know with ATI cards there's an overscan feature, I have to set it at 1080 then enlarge it significantly. See if there's a similar option in the nvidia control panel

well that is odd.

I think its the HDMI cable. I hooked up the pc via the reg 9 pin and I get perfect 1920 x 1080 desktop size and everything.

EXCEPT...

except now I am picking up... uh distortion or noise maybe.... I have lines runing up and down my tv... its a shielded PC cable what could be going on?

any suggestions?

ok I think it has got to be the cord because I tried another cord and although the distortion is minimized it is still present but in a different pattern. Had the distortion noticed on the tv been the exact same with both cords then I'd lean towards the tv being the problem.

So this leads me to a real question...

If I am using two different cords meant to be used as computer monitor cords and I am getting unreasonable distortion... then are my cords crappy quality?

THEN what cord can I buy that is the best on the market and can get me a clear picture!?

What is everyone else using?

wait but then I hooked the cord upto my LCD computer monitor and I get perfect signal.

Same cord two different displays... one perfect one far from perfect.

Does that mean its the tv???

oh man something is FUNKY!!!

So my dimmer switch for the lights in my room when I turn the switch and/or turn it on or off the distortion on the tv changes... but even with the lights off it doesnt go away or get better... it only changes when I am using the dimmer.

so whats going on then? That would indicate that the TV is very sensitive to noise then right? That sucks. How can that be they build these things not to be dont they?

the same cord is perfect on the LCD but not on the tv... what gives? What is different about the LCD for that cord.

By the way to complicate things my other cord which also has distortion on it is hooked up to the LCD and distortion shows up there too!!! WTF both cords show distortion on my tv but only ONE cord shows distortion on the LCD???!??!?!?!?!?!!

Can anyone give me a proper troubleshooting list to follow?

I want this gone and this is the most puzzling thing I have ever seen based on what I am observing.

And the TV is too damn big to just move to a friends house to test there and have a control.

help?

hrmm this is very interesting, i have how ever noticed that for PC input on a screen like that you must use the ports labeled (PC) all others will give bad results. perhaps you could try to go from hdmi on your pc to the vga on your monitor via an adapter or a cable designed for it.
does this distortion happen at any other resolutions

and it may also seem like a connection inside the TV has become loose or bad and maybe an RMA on the TV would be needed with a detailed explanation of what is wrong.

i tired the other cord again... the one the shows the lesser amout of distortion.

Something somewhere is causing a pluse about 2 times per second and that is the distortion I am seeing now on that cord. It could be related.

What the hell pulses 2 times a second?

distortion happens at other resolutions.

the reason I am leaning away from the tv is that...

a) it is brand new
b) the distortion is much less with one cord compared to the other cord... that should eliminate the tv I think.

But something still is sending out a pretty strong signal to cut through the cord.

I have disconnected my cable box, my internet modem, my sound system... I plugged the tv into a socket across the room... all nothing.

something is still sending the signal.

Could the TV itself be sending the signal and the cord is picking it up?

yes the tv could be the source and you have a bad ground....or its your cell. which keeps a constant check with the tower about 2 times every second

well Im out of ideas.

Too bad I guess I have to put up with it.

try to return the TV and get a new one and see if it stil happens, if it does then it may be your GPU

you will want to look for some sort of 'overscan' settings on the tv itself. they may not call it overscan, but you can almost bet that it is enabled on your tv as most do have overscan on by default. that is very strange about the 'distortion'. i wouldn't think it would be the hdmi cable that is bad though as if it was, i would think you simply wouldn't get a signal vs the interference. you may just need to go through the tv's menus to see if there are any settings you can tweak/reset that might solve the problem.

It's a samsung tv so it should be under menu -> picture -> picture options -> size

different cables only allow for certain options under this menu, if it detects it's a pc the screen fit option may not be available, for me screen fit when using a cable box makes a perfect 1920x1080 from the box removing all overscan, but there's a lot of crap around the edges that cable broadcasts you're not actually supposed to see, especially on lower resolutions.

Last edited:
I have a samsung LCD tv, and if you use HDMI you have to set the HDMI port on the TV for PC input or the picture will be too big for the screen and it'll be all funky looking. I assume b/c it's trying to process the signal as a TV signal and not a pc out.

Anyway to fix the PC signal for the HDMI.... go to the menu, and go to input and choose Edit Name, go to the HDMI port the PC is connected to and select PC from the list, and that will take care of it all. might have to reboot your computer after...

It's on Page "English 13" of your user manual
BN68-02585A-07L03-0903.pdf

Last edited:
Same boat here.

I have a different HDTV, a Philips 40PFL3705D. At full res, it's cut off on all edges. This is how I fixed it.

1 - Go into nvidia control panel
2 - Change Resolution
3 - Customize
4 - Create Custom Resolution
5 - Under "Display Mode", put 1920 for Horizontal and 1080 for Vertical
6 - Expand "Timing"
7 - Select "CVT Reduced Blank" in the dropdown box.
8 - Test

Those are the steps I do. Downside is whenever you restart the system, those steps must be done again. After many, MANY, emails with EVGA and Philips, their conclusions are that something is up with the nvidia drivers and certain sets. Might be the EDID or the like, haven't messed around with it much anymore since I found out how to do the above.

One thing, when using the HDMI cable, make sure HDMI audio is disabled. With my set, it caused it to kinda throw up on itself. Turn off and back on fixed it.

Been bugging nvidia to see what they can do, but they haven't been really helpful.

1)make sure your TV is set to 'full image' and not to a slight zoom, as many sets overscan slightly for some reason

2)Just change the overscan/underscan setting in Nvidia control panel and if that doesn't work, worstcase scenario, go to resize desktop, and you can probably set it to about 1750x1020 or so to fix your problem permanently. I've never met an HDTV I couldn't get to do 1080P bootably with any videocard over HDMI. Just need to frig with a few settings.

Back