• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notes on Volcano 9 with XP2200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Craigmeier

Running stock at 1800MHz 133/33/166DDR, I picked up some steady state readings which may help y'all make a decision or two:

Using 'Hot Potato.exe'
AMD XP2200+ 256M/2700
Volcano 9 /w/ A7S333
09/08/02 - Degrees C

CPU/MB:delta:Fan setting - load
----- ---- ----- -------------- -----
52/27 : 25 : Low setting - idle
57/27 : 30 : Low setting - full load

46/29 : 17 : Mid setting - idle
51/29 : 22 : Mid setting - full load

40/30 : 10 : High setting - idle
43/30 : 13 : High setting - full load

In my opinion, the adjustable fan ROCKS! You can adjust it to 'just cool enough' and 'just quiet enough' to tune in on a good optimum.

This is with a single 92mm Sunon at the rear sucking out, no major case ventilation. At the low and mid settings, the fan can NOT be heard over the case & power supply fans. At the higher setting, it sings pretty good though. Nothing fancy on the grease here, just what it came with.

I always see numbers quoted at the CPU and not the MB. That kind of non-info doesn't tell you anything about the CPU cooling fan/sink capacity, does it? Hopefully this info above will be more useful, since it gives you an idea what the elevation of CPU temperature will be for a given ambient temperature and fan speed. I didn't report the actual RPM. Oh well, the middle setting was in the 'middle'. I ran the little potentiometer out to the front of my case. It just reached, and is sticking out at the front of the CD-R braced by the case inserts.

First and formost - Welcome to the forums!!!!!

About the temps - for them to mean much to anyone, posting ambient temps would help, as the mobo sensor is usually higher cause the mobo generates heat. Also is this from an in socket thermistor or on die sensor? If its the in socket, listing your motherboard would help since some bios read temps as much as 10c off.

Many thanks for the welcome. You guys are really kicking around some good information here!

The Motherboard is an Asus A7S333 at stock clock with 2700 RAM. 300 watt power supply, mongo WD1200JB.

Ambient temperature is between 75 and 78 degrees F. So that's around 25 +/- 1 or 2 degrees C. This seems to be in fair agreement with the MB temps of 27-30. I'm guessing the MB temp is closer to the 'ambient' that the CPU cooler sees?

The temperatures reported are strictly the ones reported through the A7S333 Motherboard.

Hope this helps to clarify. If there are known biases, that would be good to know.

Again, thanks for making me feel at home!

Back