• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NV18 In August

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

Wow,

Just when you think value was good, this card begins to give you the chills :cool:

The NV18 is the Value packed version of NV30 which includes all the next generation features of NV30 except for two several features.

Plain and simple, the NV18 has 2 pipe engine along with 128-bit DDR while NV30 has an 8 pipe engine along with 256-bit DDR.

NV18 Features (Rumors, take with grain of salt i guess);

0.13 Micron
300MHz 350MHz 400MHz Core (2-pipe engine)
600MHz 700MHz 800MHz DDR-SDRAM 128-bit
LMA3 - Light Speed Memory Architecture 3
TT&L - True Time And Lighting External GPU
512-bit architecture
AGP8X
Giga Color Support
400MHz Ramdac
DirectX 9.0

ESP. $129, $149, $199 (US)

Expected In-Stock dates are mid August. Visiontek has prototypes out already. These specs bring us back to the GF2 days when the MX had everything the GTS had to offer besides the slower ram and less pipe engine.

In terms of performance, the high end model of this card running at 400MHz will deliver equivilent performance to that of a GF4 Ti 4400 thanks to its extra 125MHz, TT&L and LMA3. Multiple lighting area's (complex shadowing) would infact allow this card to easily surpass the TI 4600 thanks to Nvidia's TT&L technology which removes complex lighting calculations off the GPU.

AXIA

Last edited:
better not be true, there are just too many cards coming out now. if it is true then i think that Nvidia might be worried about the competition (ATI, Matrox, 3dlabs). doesnt anyone else think this is stupid? I mean 99% of games can be played quite well on a geforce2 gts, sure there are a few games coming out that need a good card (look at doom3) but for the most part all of these faster cards are just getting to be ridiculous...just my 2 cents

People need more resolution, and games are stutering do to the fact that the market has crappy cards. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think my card is pretty crappy man, and it's a Ti 4600.

I Believe that with GPU/VPU speeds in the near future pushing past 500MHz+, programmers will be allowed to rocket the polycount up without worrying about running out of GPU juice. Get it?

Well, Dungeon Siege for example can make my computer crawl to 5fps or even slower depending on how many polygons the programmer decides to push on the scene. Games in the near future will become very complex and will be based off of the Unreal2 engine or Doom3 engine.

Imagine playing an Shootem up (EX:Doom3) and running through a forest which has over 20,000 trees with grass and the whole bit. Now imagine each tree with pine needles/leaves/ pine cones. Add in all this along with additional polys for tree movement (Wind) and you got one heck of a complex scene easily made by an unskilled programmer.

Now, add in some higher res textures (4096x4096) for some ground lets say, and pump the game resolution to 1600x1200. Now add 2X FSAA and you got enough heat to make my PC run at 1fps.

LOL, get it heh

And I was thinking of going Nvidia...But with as many cards as they are putting out with self competition...So Im sticking to ATi...But even Im not gonna say the Geforce 4 is crappy...its beats an 8500...I would easily take one over an 8500 given the choice...But that just my opinion.

Nvidia should be worried about competiton from everybody else as said...
Now I wonder what the point of the NV17 core was.....

I bought my GeForce3 Ti200 knowing that the NV30 core would be out fairly soon. That's why I went with that card instead of the GeForce4 Ti4x00.

I'm waiting for the rumored "Eclipse" from nVidia. I hear this is the new name for the NV30 line and that the line of "GeForce" is dead (we can only hope, they've killed the name).

So, if trend follows, there will probably be a Eclipse Ti series or something of the like. That's where i'll step in and purchase one. I'll play it by ear, see what nVidia decides to throw out against the competition.

Should be getting quite interesting, quite interesting indeed...

AtomicGuY said:
Eclipse eh,

http://www.rol.ru/news/it/ironnews/01/08/18_002.htm

Specs from Fall 2001

Yeah, I heard about it a year ago;) I hope they go through through with the new since GeForce is gettin old fast with all these high numbers. Sure you could have a GeForce5 or 10, but what gives.

NV30 is new technology and I say go with da new name:beer:

All I got from that link was a bunch of garbage, I could read some numbers and "DDR" thats about it. I think this Solaris (think they upgraded to 9 over the weekend) doesn't have that language pack installed.

Anyway, I heard it was going to be dubbed either "Eclipse" or "Omen". I heard the "Eclipse" one about a year ago as well, the "Omen" one I seen in a previous post earlier this month. We'll just have to wait and see I guess :)

i am getting screwed over with my comps. i almost purchased a t-bred now i hear they run hot i just bought a ti4400 for 300 damn that compusa to hear nv30s are coming out soon i thought i would get a good year out of this card DAMNIT.

madcow235 said:
i am getting screwed over with my comps. i almost purchased a t-bred now i hear they run hot i just bought a ti4400 for 300 damn that compusa to hear nv30s are coming out soon i thought i would get a good year out of this card DAMNIT.

Don't worry, soon to follow this NV30, something new and exciting will drop and be better than the aforementioned card. It's a never-ending cycle. See, you don't need the newest stuff. Like most people say, the GeForce2 GTS still runs most games smooth as silk. Now with new games requiring better graphics cards (i.e. Doom3) you'll need a better card than a GeForce2. The GeForce4, I think should last you a while. I think it should play Doom3 good enough (if you play it). :)

Back